Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

It Lives

61 Silver

Corvette
1961 270HP and 1963 340HP
After a year plus of work, the 63 340HP SWC came alive this evening. Other than an exhaust leak, fuel line leak form the filter to the carburetor and it will not idle under 1500 RPMs every thing went very well.

Now to figure out why it will not idle.

I will try to post a few pictures with in the next few days.

Ray

That is such a great feeling Ray! Those solid lifter engines sound so tough.
At the rate you are going, you will be driving it real soon.

Take care,
Brian

a huge CONGRATS to you Ray.
you must have been very excited to fire her up for the first time.

i'm sure you will fix those few minor issues in no time and soon have her out on the road. :)

Ray, Congrats on first fire! That's another mile stone for you. Did the 63's have those pesky Carter WCFB's? Maybe you could borrow one from the 61 to test for a bad carb if you can't find a massive vacuum leak. Anyway I'm sure you'll figure it out in short order. I've been waiting for an update. Glad to hear of your progress. Looking forward to the pictures

"Quick Update"

Engine idles!

Dumb me! shims the distributor like I have done on others except I phase the dimple on the shaft gear 180* in the wrong direction. After changing the shaft gear and setting the distributor to it's correct setting the engine fired and idled great.

On to the next problem!

Gary; the 63 has the Carter AFB and it now seems to be working fine.

Ray

61 Silver said:
"Quick Update"

Engine idles!

Dumb me! shims the distributor like I have done on others except I phase the dimple on the shaft gear 180* in the wrong direction. After changing the shaft gear and setting the distributor to it's correct setting the engine fired and idled great.

On to the next problem!

Gary; the 63 has the Carter AFB and it now seems to be working fine.

Ray
That's great news to know the motor is OK. Like you said on to the next obstacle. So 62 was the last year for the WCFB's?

studiog said:
That's great news to know the motor is OK. Like you said on to the next obstacle. So 62 was the last year for the WCFB's?

Hi! Gary

The WCFB (Will Carter Four Barrel) was used into 1965 in the Corvette. The 65 250HP had a WCFB. I believe the optional engines used the AFB (Aluminum Four Barrel) engine and then the Holley. The 63 300hp & 340HP used the same carburetor with different jets.

Ray

Ray

I am looking forward to your pictures, as I just purchased a SWC a couple of weeks ago. I have to shim my distributor (the car has not been run in 6 years and I am going over all the mechanicals) but can't remember which way the dimple is supposed to face. Is it on the same side that the rotor points at? That's how it was when I pulled it.

Thanks- Rich

MidShark said:
Ray

I am looking forward to your pictures, as I just purchased a SWC a couple of weeks ago. I have to shim my distributor (the car has not been run in 6 years and I am going over all the mechanicals) but can't remember which way the dimple is supposed to face. Is it on the same side that the rotor points at? That's how it was when I pulled it.

Thanks- Rich

Hi! Rich

Welcome to the 63 club! The dimple points toward the plug wire contact.

Pictures of your 63 would be very welcome. You can check out the restoration of my 63 at: http://rayscorvette.com/

Ray

I just started a thread showing my '63 as I hauled it "out of a barn". One thing I didn't pay much attention to, but you can see from the interior pic, is that I have a woodgrain steering wheel, not color coded as I've seen in most '63s. From your website I see that there were only 130 cars made with the woodgrain wheel. Is there a way to tell if it is an original '63 steering wheel? Thanks for your help!

Rich

2X4's 60 said:
Wrought Cast Four Barrel

Hi! 2X4's 60

Where did you find the information that the acronym for WCFB stands for Wrought Cast Four Barrel. I have a Carter Carburetor book that states: Will Carter Four Barrel. Your answer seems to make more sense and I hate to provide the wrong information.

Ray

MidShark said:
Ray

I just started a thread showing my '63 as I hauled it "out of a barn". One thing I didn't pay much attention to, but you can see from the interior pic, is that I have a woodgrain steering wheel, not color coded as I've seen in most '63s. From your website I see that there were only 130 cars made with the woodgrain wheel. Is there a way to tell if it is an original '63 steering wheel? Thanks for your help!

Rich

Hi! Rich

Here is some information that I scaned form the NCRS 63-64 Judging Guide.

63_steering_wheel.jpg

Ray

Thanks for the info. I am going to order the Judging manual, it's just been a busy 2 weeks since I got the car. I'll go out later to look at the steering wheel, but since the VIN is 07757, it doesn't look like it would have been original.

Thanks- Rich

61 Silver said:
Hi! 2X4's 60

Where did you find the information that the acronym for WCFB stands for Wrought Cast Four Barrel. I have a Carter Carburetor book that states: Will Carter Four Barrel. Your answer seems to make more sense and I hate to provide the wrong information.

Ray

Ray,
I found the info. in an article about dual fours written by Gary Hodges in an old issue of the NCRS Corvette Restorer. I can e-mail you a copy if you like. :beer

If it is not too much of a bother I would appreciate reading the article.

Thank you for your offer!

Ray

ray63@rochester.rr.com

The only place I've ever seen WCFB referred to as the "Will Carter Four Barrel" is in the Dave Emanuel book on Carter carbs. I've been fiddling with WCFB's for over 40 years, and that's the only place I've ever seen that reference. I always remember it as "Wrought Cast Four Barrel", many years before the Emanuel book was written, for the cast iron baseplate (when other carbs had aluminum baseplates).

:beer

Thanks John & Jim

From now on it is "Wrought Cast Four Barrel", Thanks for the information.

Ray

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom