Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

It's COOOOOL In The Garage Now!

john
not trying to get too personal, but could you give me an approximation of total cost for this unit and approximately how large an area you are asking it to cool?? what temp do you try to maintain?? and how hard does it work to get ther and hold it??
thanks
steve

Very interesting addition. The technology of interior temperature control has advanced remarkable in the past decade. It used to be that the roar of the fans was an accepted inconvenience. Nowadays, folks won't tolerate the noise so engineers pay attention to how much roar is created. I wonder if there'll come a time when the noise pollution of cars & trucks becomes unacceptable too...

-Mac

srs244 said:
john
not trying to get too personal, but could you give me an approximation of total cost for this unit and approximately how large an area you are asking it to cool?? what temp do you try to maintain?? and how hard does it work to get ther and hold it??
thanks
steve

Complete turnkey installation was about $5500; if you buy the hardware alone at wholesale, it's about $4K. I'm cooling a super-insulated (R-29 walls, R-58 ceiling) 2500 sq. ft. fully-finished garage with a 12' ceiling and 1-1/2"-thick custom-made 18'x8' steel/foam/steel sandwich insulated doors and an insulated/moisture-barriered epoxy-coated floor. The unit is under-sized to cool it continuously to typical 68*-70*F house temperatures, but that's not what I'm asking it to do; I only wanted to be able to maintain 75*-77*F with 90-95*F outside temps, and it does that with no problem, and really pulls the moisture out of the air.
:beer

Good for you, John.

I showed my wife the photos and she said, "You put that in your garage and you'll be living in there too."

Now normally I'd think that was a good thing, but the expression on her face was something like this........... :mad

I took the hint. :gap

67HEAVEN said:
Good for you, John.

I showed my wife the photos and she said, "You put that in your garage and you'll be living in there too."

Now normally I'd think that was a good thing, but the expression on her face was something like this........... :mad

I took the hint. :gap
I put A/C in my shop and Office two week's ago!! Let's See,( In the House) 2 Whiney Women 7 cat's, 2 dog's, 1 grand Baby!! ( In My office and Shop!!) 0 Whiney Women, 1 cat, 1 dog, Cable Tv,Internet, Microwave, Stove, Freg,Full Bath, Sleeping Loft,Tool's,72 Old's 442 and 3 Corvettes!!! What's the Problem??;LOL ;LOL ;LOL gmjunkie!!

67HEAVEN said:
Good for you, John.

;LOL :L ;LOL :L ;LOL

B17Crew
:w

John
your garage without the AC was already nicer than my house. now that you added an AC system that is more advanced than the one that cools my house can I just move in?
I promise I won't take up too much room. I just need a cot to sleep on and a corner of the garage to park Baby - my '65 coupe :)

And I thought that I WAS STYLING because I inherited an old still functioning window unit from my sister last weekend for my 16x22 shop!!!! Now yours is a system to have. That will make it more comfortable. Is your garage attached, or detached?

JohnZ,
Great addition to the garage. Just curious--Will you use the same system to warm the garage/office in the winter, or do you have another source of heat?
Andy

ruby76 said:
And I thought that I WAS STYLING because I inherited an old still functioning window unit from my sister last weekend for my 16x22 shop!!!! Now yours is a system to have. That will make it more comfortable. Is your garage attached, or detached?

The garage is attached :)

AmosF16 said:
JohnZ,
Great addition to the garage. Just curious--Will you use the same system to warm the garage/office in the winter, or do you have another source of heat?
Andy

I had heat installed when I had the house built five years ago - ceiling-hung 125,000-BTU Reznor power-vented forced-air gas unit heater with electronic ignition (no pilot flame); turns out that with my insulation package, a 100,000-BTU unit would have been more than adequate. The A/C unit (cooling-only) I had installed is also available as a heat-and-cool unit, which uses heat-pump technology to supply heat (not very effective in Michigan winters).

It's 95* today and VERY humid outside (near-record temps), and it's 75* and dry/comfy in the garage; should have had the A/C installed long ago - what a difference! :)

200222813558-5-reznorhtr.JPG

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom