Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

j55 brakes

Kevin Doyle

Corvette
1996 white LT4 gs wheels
:confused Did all Lt4 corvettes have the j55 brake option? And what exactly does it conslst of.Thanks Kevin.

:confused Did all Lt4 corvettes have the j55 brake option? And what exactly does it conslst of.Thanks Kevin.

Yes, all LT4's have the J55 brake option as do the ZR1's and all Grand Sports. It was actually "standard" with the engine upgrade over LT1's.

Consists of 1" or 1.5" (not sure) larger diameter front and back brake rotors than the LT1 Vettes..If I am not mistaken, your window option list will not display this brake upgrade as an option of cost, simply part of the engine upgrade option as with 6-speed transmissions...as in no automatics with LT4's and ZR1's.

Other members may add more specific details, but this is a basic answer to your question.

Hope this helps!

J55 became the 'standard' brake package on all Vettes in 1995. All '95 and '96 Vettes got the 13" rotors those years. Previously, the 'big brake' package came 'standard' on the Z07/Z51/ZR1 cars.

In '96, the big difference between brakes is the calipers used - the CE and GS cars got different calipers with "CORVETTE" lettering.

The J-55 brake pads are the same for the GS calipers. I have the GS calipers and they have more stopping power and a firmer brake pedal than the J-55. I also changed the 13 inch rotors to drilled and slotted ones and Hawk HPS pads a Russell braided stainless lines. Major improvment as my LT4 stops Much faster now. For the first time in 7 years I can hit the brakes HARD and for a split second skid the front tires (new) before the ABS kicks in. It never did that before. And at fast hiway speeds it will slow down much faster and NO brake fade. :) Do what I did a part at a time and you will be glad, best improvment I have ever done on my Vette.

After struggling for years with poor stopping power I switched over to the C5 front conversion on my 1996 CE.
Bought a C5 conversion kit from VB & P to replace my J55's--see link for kit descriiption (http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=292. I installed it in ~ 3 hours four months ago. Everything fit perfectly. I also bought the quick bleed valves from them. The brakes have never been better. There is no front to rear balance issues. I can easily get into the ABS now! I no longer worry about maybe stopping/clean shorts etc. and don't have to go the the spa to strengthen my right leg as has been suggested elsewhere-- and I got a 10% discount as a forum member! My J55 stuff is for sale.

After struggling for years with poor stopping power I switched over to the C5 front conversion on my 1996 CE.
Bought a C5 conversion kit from VB & P to replace my J55's--see link for kit descriiption (http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=292. I installed it in ~ 3 hours four months ago. Everything fit perfectly. I also bought the quick bleed valves from them. The brakes have never been better. There is no front to rear balance issues. I can easily get into the ABS now! I no longer worry about maybe stopping/clean shorts etc. and don't have to go the the spa to strengthen my right leg as has been suggested elsewhere-- and I got a 10% discount as a forum member! My J55 stuff is for sale.
Do you still have the J55 stuff and what do you want for it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom