Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Jacking stickers under storage door removal

Z

zgator

I had to buy a new storage door for my 82CE.Well it don't come with the stickers showing how you jack the car up ect.I found new ones (two) but my CE has 3 one for how to remove the hubcap.The orginal has started to peel off with age and I'm trying to figure if there is a way to remove it and use it on my new door.I'm thinking steam but I don't have anything that steams.How about a hair dryer?I concidered my heat gun but figured that was over kill.Maybe some kind of bumper sticker remover,I don't want to ruin the lettering so I'm not sure about the bumper sticker thing.I hope somebody has done this before.:confused

you can buy new ones at corvette central.

I've got new ones but I don't see the thrid one that is just for the CE.It shows how to remove the center cap with the special tool.Maybe I'll look again.Thanks

Heat is a good start but do it from the back, heat the substrate, and not right on the label.

Good idea but it's covered with carpet.I've got some plastic razor blades that you put into a holder that might work.;shrug

Try a steam iron or get one of the who-thingys that steam wallpaper off walls.

Try a little weatherstrip adhesive remover, lacquer thinner, or Goo-B-Gone. Any of those should dissolve the original glue. If you go slowly, you should be able to get the original off in one piece. Any good household cement should work to mount it the new door.

:)

Thanks everybody.If those tips don't work it wasn't to be.:beer

Finally got it off.Every time I took a shower I'd take the storage compartment in the bathroom with me(should have seen the look on my wifes face) anyway after a few hot showers it would come off a little bit each time.:upthumbs

Label Removal for re-use

I had to buy a new storage door for my 82CE.Well it don't come with the stickers showing how you jack the car up ect.I found new ones (two) but my CE has 3 one for how to remove the hubcap.The orginal has started to peel off with age and I'm trying to figure if there is a way to remove it and use it on my new door.I'm thinking steam but I don't have anything that steams.How about a hair dryer?I concidered my heat gun but figured that was over kill.Maybe some kind of bumper sticker remover,I don't want to ruin the lettering so I'm not sure about the bumper sticker thing.I hope somebody has done this before.:confused

I did the same replacement job on my 81 and had good success with the following process which I removed all the factory labels and was able to re-use them all.
First a little history; I worked at "Veriad (Formerly known as (United Ad Label)" as their QA Mgr, we sold a product called "At-Tack", a liquid that desolves the adhesive on the bacl of pressure sensistive labels, without damage to the label (non-paper based labels). See Veriad.com to get some At-Tack solution.
Procedure:
1. Take some digital pictures of the labels placement before removal to insure exact placement on the new door(s)
2. Remove the old door & place on work bench labels up.
3. Since the labels on my 81 storage doors are non-paper based stock material, this allows me to wet the entire label with the At-Tack solution. Allow the label to soak until the soultion has penetrated the entire backside of the label.
4. You may have to use a putty knife and gently work around and lift the edges of the label as the solution penetres fully. This is needs be a slow and gentle process.
5. It is recommended that you work in a well ventilated area and away from a flame source.
6. Once the label is removed, You need to removed any remaining At-Tack solution from the label(s) you can rinse the label in cool water to help in the removal process.
7. Blot dry the label, allow it to air dry, a few hours in warmer weather, don't put label in sun to dry, may cause them to curral.
8. I use a 3M spray adhesive (same one I use to attach my new carpeting) or You can use one of those glue sticks.
9. Follow the instructions on the adhesive you use, you may also need to clean the surface of the new door to remove a mold release left over from when the door was made.

Good luck! I hope this information helps! :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom