Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

juice for the LT5?

• Thread starter Thread starter nolessthanblessed
  • Start date Start date
N

nolessthanblessed

Howdy, considering adding a little shot of juice. Anyone with any insights or experience with the nitrous systems...yeah, got beat by a Z06....actually, a couple of them....in the quarter...

nolessthanblessed said:
Howdy, considering adding a little shot of juice. Anyone with any insights or experience with the nitrous systems...yeah, got beat by a Z06....actually, a couple of them....in the quarter...

There are several reasons why you were beaten in the 1/4.
1. The ZO6 is lighter
2. The ZO6 has a gear ratio set for drag racing.
3. The ZO6 shifter is much more refined.
4. He has more HP.
5. The ZR-1 was NOT developed for drag racing. You car will either stay with or beat the ZO6 from 5krpm starts.

I have not used NOS but there is a kit for the Z. I believe it is a 135 shot and runs right around $1k for the kit. There is a member of another forum who uses this kit and he puts down ~450 RWHP on the juice on a completely stock 90.

That other member is RatRacer. He put a NOS 135 shot on his bone stock 90 model and put down 462 hp and 506 lb/ft of torque. The kit from NOS has a drawing problem that Cam can help you get through. Let me know if your interested and I will get you hooked up with him. It's a good way to go but requires some careful tuning initially to make sure your not detonating.

You'll need to find a lot faster competition if you add a NOS kit to your ZR-1. You'll be pulling stock Vipers and Z06's about eight carlengths in the 1/4 mile.

My stock ZR-1 has run a best 1/8 mile of 7.48 @ 96mph with the kit and BFG Drag Radials.

My one and only 1/4 mile run resulted in me being kicked off the dragstrip for going too fast w/o a roll bar. That run was 11.80 at 123mph on a hot greasy track.

Rat all I can say about that is HOLY ****! All this talk is making me, again, want to spray my car.

Thanks, if you would like more power and torque than a Lingenfelter 368, you can do it for $1K. The tires are another $350. The power of a stock ZR-1 on juice is right about at the threshold of the BFG Drag Radials ability to grip so it's a good combo.

Everyone knows the downside of nitrous. Mistakes can be expensive. If you aren't prepared for potential repair bills then you may want to reconsider.

If you have the knowledge and mechanical skills, nitrous can be safe and a hell of a lot of fun.

Juicin'

Ohh yeahhhh...the role bar....another consideration I had forgot to consider...to mod or not to mod...that is the question? Whether it is nobler to keep stock..or to rock....only wanted to nos it a little bit.....oh well guess I'll start saving for a Z06 and keep the ZR intact...thanks guys..I had forgot about the helmets too, got kicked out.....had not been to the track in over 30 years...thanks guys and God Bless...

carefull... the juice is very addicting, once you try it, you'll want more. I personally think is the greatest invention since air conditioning.. Got to love it!!

90 Corvette ZR-1 said:
I think my next car maybe a 368 on the juice.

:D :D :D
Juice is being installed on the 368 Vette Dr's engine right now. Want to take my time and get it right the first time. N02 does not permit error's.

FrankUrbinati said:
Juice is being installed on the 368 Vette Dr's engine right now. Want to take my time and get it right the first time. N02 does not permit error's.

Frank,
You have too much fun!!! :)

Your a smart man for doing that. Every car is different and each install needs to be tuned/maintained properly to prevent problems. I think the few problems with nitrous I have witnessed are 1. bad install 2. User error (too much bottle pressure/too big of pills) 3. Equipment failure from lack of periodic maintenance, plus not checking plugs on a regular basis. 4. not tuning the car on a dyno with a wide band o2 sensor to check the a/f ratio's. 5. not setting the car up for nitrous (too much timing/not using colder plugs). You do all of these things and you can have fun with nitrous for a long time. It just takes deligence and not getting complacent just because it has worked well for a long time.
So happy hunting Frank and nolessthanblessed.
I love the smell of nitrous in the morning, it smells like victory. :)

FrankUrbinati said:

4cefed said:
I love the smell of nitrous in the morning, it smells like victory. :)

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH!!!!!!!! Grab your surfboard - you're surfing or you're fighting!!!! I'm surfing!!

Wide band o2 sensor....what is that?

I have run across a lot of o2 sensors being in the emissions field, but have never heard of a wide-band o2 sensor....must be racing stuff.....at which I am rusty...or maybe stuck shut from inactivity...just creakin' a little now......please educate me on a wide-band o2 sensor....thanks

Re: Wide band o2 sensor....what is that?

Regular O2 sensor are only accurate right at Stochiometric (sp?) around 14 to 1 air fuel ratio. Accuracy falls off very quick on either side of stochiometric. Wide band o2's have a wider accuracy range and are necessary to tune a car properly since most setups are in the 11.5-12.5 to 1 air fuel ratio.

nolessthanblessed said:
I have run across a lot of o2 sensors being in the emissions field, but have never heard of a wide-band o2 sensor....must be racing stuff.....at which I am rusty...or maybe stuck shut from inactivity...just creakin' a little now......please educate me on a wide-band o2 sensor....thanks

wide band 02 tech is becoming an affordable reality. now that the honda cars use them the sensor are affordable, and the DIY kits allow a wideband meter to be installed in the car. wide band o2s are used on dyno tests to help measure the A/F at WOT and are a real necessity tuning the car with nitrous (dyno test with high octane gas and verify everything is right!!!)

frank, I'm interested in what the Vette Doc recommends. I have an NX kit, but most favor the NOS dry, and after seeing what Julio has been able to accomplish, I really think a port injection setup is what I need. since I'm better with my head than my hands, I will need some help with the install and tuning.

I think a single stage port injection is what I crave adjustable from 150-250 HP. the 368 on good gas with the right tune should live a long and happy life.

what I really am looking for long term is a concept I've had for quite some time. Harold Martin on his pro stock car uses a computer with the wide band 02 sensor, and additional injectors (dry nitrous, computer controlled injectors) to have the wide band controll the nitrous, and shut it down if there is a problem, or add fuel as needed (dynamic correction!!!)

granted, this is some expensive stuff, but then again rebuilding lt5s isn't cheap and the computer stuff is getting more affordable all the time.

a simple Accel 8 batch fire with the wide band 02 sensor, and additional set of injectors and you have it. fun stuff huh???

I've also been interested in the new NOZsle tech from NOS and soon NX. this would be a really nice "stealth" approach with everthing up under the plenum!!!

I drive poor julio crazy with all the ideas but I really love exploring the high tech options.

meanwhile xs mph squeezes till it pleases.

thanks for entertaining the ramble.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom