Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Just curious

maxrevs85

Corvette
!985 ,blue coupe, 4+3 Z51
I have to admit first, I didnt know what FRC meant :eek: . Now that I do , I would like to know what those who have them think about them and if it was prefered over the coupe or soft top. I personnaly like the look. I take it that no part is removable .
Dave

Dave,
I sold a '91 coupe to get my '03 Z06. I have no regrets about the decision. You are correct- no part of the roof comes off. There are times when I miss not being able to take the roof off on a particularly nice day, but the performance upgrade I got dramatically offsets those moments.

Initially, I wasn't sure liked the "chopped off" look of the back window. But it took only a couple of weeks of driving around for it to completely grow on me- now, I wouldn't have it any other way. And, since the new C6 Z06 won't have the same notch-back look, I figure it may make it popular with collectors (not that I can see myself selling it.)

:w
-Patrick

Patrick. I should have mentioned that I knew the Z06 had the FRC....Wasnt aware they made it in the non Z06. :) Also the history said that in 99 they started offering it again and that it had been since the 63-67 since they had it. I thought the FRC was removable back then.

The 99 and 2000 FRC's were not Z06's. The first FRC's were equipped with the LS1 and were not much of a performance improvement over the targa coupe or the vert.

When GM says that the 63-67 were the first FRC's, that is true. The 53 through 62 were all roadsters. In 63, the Vette could be had as a coupe for the first time and the roof did not come off - hence "fixed roof coupe" - not a name they used back then, they were just "coupes". The new C6 Z06 with the fast back and fixed roof more closely resymbols the 63-67 style coupe. In 68, the targa roof was released and all Corvette coupes since then have had removal roof panel(s) until the 99 FRC.

When you say that you thought the FRC was 'removable back then', you may be thinking of the 'removable' roof for the convertible Vettes. These removable roofs were optional for the convertible up until the C5 convertible was offered. Definitely not a "fixed roof coupe" but a removable hardtop for the verts. They were notch backs which makes them look like the C5 FRC's.

Dave,
The FRC ROCKS! :_rock But I'm biased :D

For some reason, the chopped off back look really does it for me, aesthetically...to such an extent that I probably won't really consider buying a C6 with all that bulbous glass in the back. But then again, I might be persuaded to get used to it :D

Tammy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom