Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Just fired up the 383, HOLY *** !

S

Scott81

Well, after 4 months of working on the engine compartment, buying parts, test fitting and doing all the things involved with a motor removal/install my buddy came over tonight and set up the distributor and we fired it up. All I can say is HOLY FREAKIN SHCIZITTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!! Man am I pumped! It has the Comp Cams XE 284 in it and it's nice an lumpy. My neighbors are probably hiding in their bomb shelters by now after that little 6000rpm rev . :D

The other thing that really made it nice is the sidepipes with the STS baffles, man do those sound AWESOME! Hooker should start selling those junk mufflers to the ricers, they don't even compare to the baffles, as soon as I can find someone to record sound for me I'll post the file. Thanks to Jim (JCL) for making the baffles! :beer :cool

The Monster

On the road again

Hey Man, I wondered what that sound was, ..... and I'm 70 miles away from you. I'll bet it feels great. Any problems putting it in? Let us know how it goes. (Don't worry, I'll just ask your neighbors, I'm sure they'll have something to say.)
Congrats,
Al

Beautiful...

Scott,
That engine and engine compartment is absoletely breathtaking... "Holy Red Money Pit" even the bails (bales) on the master cylinder are painted RED

YOU BETTER FIGURE A WAY TO BOWLING GREEN for Labor Day "SharkFest"... :mad

BudD
:w

Ken- Now it's your turn. Are you making any progress?

Al- not many problems putting it in, a word of advice is to make sure you fully seat the torque convertor first before trying to get the motor to mate to the tranny :D The only other problem was the mini starter....which wasn't a problem after all, it just sounds funny and I thought it wasn't lined up right. I had one small leak at the fuel pressure regulator which gets fixed tonight, then adjust the TV cable and take it for a drive.

DkBG- OK, how about this....horsepower, torque, sidepipes, lumpy cam.....ahhhh yes, I love the smell of exhaust in the morning.

Bud- Thanks, I spent a lot of time cleaning, sanding and painting to make it look decent, had to make everything red too. I wish I could find a way to go but it doesn't look good.

Scott,
Was that you shaking the house? I thought it was just the space shuttle landing..That 383 is lookin good in its new home. The best is yet to come when you put that pedal down.. Enjoy

Roy

SCHWEEEEET! Looks awesome, wish I could hear it!!

Barb :w

Scott81 said:
Ken- Now it's your turn. Are you making any progress?

I put some pictures up on "My Engine Project..." page. It's coming along quite well now; I may have it back on the road next week. :J

_ken :w

Congrats Scott

She sure is pretty.........now try to stop:D (at least when your sleeping) Enjoy the ride!!

AWESOME!!!!!!

Sweet lookin engine . Great job with the detail....
My 383 has just begun at the engine shop. They started doing the splayed main caps yesterday. Exciting. :D

69MyWay- thanks! how much longer until yours is done?

Roy- thanks, took it for a drive today, man was that fun! I got some serious rubber necking looks while I was out, it sounds so nasty with the cam and sidepipes.

Barb- thanks! I'll have a sound file soon if my buddy gets off his butt and brings over the laptop.

Ken- I was checking out your pics in class today :D Looking good! Just think, in a week your spending on gas money goes WAY up. Sure is a nice feeling to be back on the road.

Dale- thanks! I was concerned about having enough vacuum with this cam, but it stops just fine...I'm happy.

Jeff- thanks! Took the AC out because the billet brackets won't work with that lousy R4 compressor, I'm going to have to save up for a Sanden and custom lines before it goes back in....makes it nice to work on with it out though.

Tom- THANKS! :D

maxrevs85- thanks! Keep us posted on how yours is going, I bet you'll have perma-grin when it's done.

Sanden resource

/Scott81 ...Took the AC out because the billet brackets won't work with that lousy R4 compressor, I'm going to have to save up for a Sanden and custom lines before it goes back in

Rebuilt Sanden SD508 w/clutch $150
Rebuilt Sanden SD508 (polybelt) w/clutch $160
New Sanden SD510new w/clutch $200

Sample prices from recent ad from Carolinas Auto Supply House, INC at 2135 Tipton Drive in Charlotte NC 28206 ... phone 1-800-439-4070 ... fax 1-800-377-7016. You'll need a tax number (legit or otherwise;)) ... CASH is largest ac & radiator & sheetmetal warehouse in the region. Virtually nothing vette-specific ... lotsa underhood parts though. GREAT resource, though CASH offers no tech help for customs/swaps ... ya gotta know yer pn's or originally intended applications. I've been buying from CASH for 25 years ... satisfied
JACK:gap

NO core charge at CASH

Scott81:
BTW, those Sanden prices are outright ... no exchange ... no core charge.
JACK:gap

Cool idea,

You know, had it not been for the march pulley stuff that I ended up with, I was going to try a little experiment. I picked up a couple of tiny little itty bitty Geo Metro compressors for the 3 cylinder engine. They are so cute, and hardly any bigger than a large bodied alternator. The couple of Geo Metros I have had cooled like a champ. I mean you could hang meat in those cars after just a few seconds. I contimplated mounting on the passenger side down low (no mechanical fuel pump on my block) where you could not even see it with my own brackets. I gutted several metros for the pulleys, etc.

Maybe I will save that for the next one.

Here is one thing to consider. Buy the hose maker tool and a large assortment of barbed ends. I assume this place mentioned by Jack might even sell the tool. It will pay for itself in no time allowing you to make your own lines and connections.

I have built several a/c systems now, and more than covered the $100 or so I that I spent on the tool. I found a local store that sells to semi truck shops that carries all the hoses, barbs, connectors etc. you could ever want at very reasonable prices.

This allows you to custom make anything you want under the hood. The trouble is that the angle of attack must be known before you set the hose end in place and crimp. You can't just measure and mount.

Good luck with the a/c. Now I know what that thunderous should has been coming from the West. God knows it was not actual thunder and rain shows. We are dried out here.

THANKS!

Jack & 69MyWay,

Thanks for the good info, I'll be sure to keep that handy. It will be a while before I attack any more projects, the last year and a half I have done my rear suspension, 700r4 swap, and the motor, all while going to school and working full time.....it's time for a well deserved rest. I should have no trouble buying the parts, have a friend with a shop so I'll have him buy it for me. And a friend in Orlando is a certified AC tech and mechanical genius so the line bending should prove easy for him....I'm sure it will cost me a few cold brewskis.