Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Just so I don't re-invent the wheel

Classicvette63

Corvette
!963 Red Split Window Coupe
I picked up a used hood at Carlisle today. It's a '64 hood with the '67 stinger on it. I thought I remembered that someone had made one into a "ram-air" setup where a flap would open in the front of the scoop at w.o.t. or "on demand". Anyone have the 411 on this? I have prep and paint questions later. Thanks, Classic

I cant answer your question but was it a white hood and you were carring over your head to get out of the show? if yes I almost passed out from the heat in front of you .

IH2LOSE, It, light colored and pretty rough. Probably about 3:30- 4 pm., heading back to the club tent to find someone to haul it back for me.

It was darn near unbearable this weekend with the heat and humidity. Had a few club members leave early on Sat. for not feeling well. All of that was forgotten when a club member won the giveaway car. He was sweating like a prositute in church, waiting for it to be official. Classic

yep, it was pretty hot at the show on Sat.
My wife almost collapsed on me and we ended up leaving around 3pm. A lot of our local Vette Club memebers who were there also left early to go to their hotels for the AC and the pool.
It was my first Carlisle show and I loved but but that heat was pretty bad!!

All that heat and I was actually making snow for snowmobile races in Michigan. It's a crazy thing but they do it every year in Greenville. We took in 7 loads of liqued nitrogen, (7000) gallons ea.) It's amazing what some water, high volumn of compressed air and some 300 degree below cold stuff can create. It was very hot and humid there too. :L

But back on subject. Some people used to just cut open the front of the scoop. I have never seen a vacuum flap adapted to a '67 hood but I'm sure with enough ingenuity it could be done using some mid '70s parts.

The L88s had the back of the scoop opened up (at the windshield base) and there was a fresh air chamber bonded to the underside of the hood that sealed to a special air cleaner. The fresh air chamber is still available from Ecklers part # 10408 for $109.99 and the air cleaner parts are available repro from Paragon and others. This is the way I'd go.

I think 67 has pictures on his site someplace of a 67 L88 setup.

Tom

Opening the front of the stinger will have zero ram-air effect, although it will provide a minor benefit from the colder intake charge (1% peak power increase for every 10*F reduction in intake charge temperature). GM had it ready for release for the 67's until it failed all the water ingestion tests at the Proving Grounds (Styling and Marketing wanted it, not Engineering, just like sidepipes).
:beer

JohnZ said:
Opening the front of the stinger will have zero ram-air effect, although it will provide a minor benefit from the colder intake charge (1% peak power increase for every 10*F reduction in intake charge temperature). GM had it ready for release for the 67's until it failed all the water ingestion tests at the Proving Grounds (Styling and Marketing wanted it, not Engineering, just like sidepipes).

John

I'm curious, why didn't engineering like the sidepipes?

There was actually less power with the sidepipes than the offroad exhaust I believe.

Tom

I'll get enough of a boost in performance by being able to got with a bigger air cleaner, but which would be better? Air coming in the front or the cowl induction setup like the L-88? Water coming in the front shouldn't be a problem obviously. I just figured the front opening would be different and kinda neat.Classic

I believe you'd be better served with the cowl induction, plus you'll not get a lot of bugs in there if your on the highway.

Cowl Induction was developed to take advantage of the high pressure area at the base of the windshield.

Tom's exactly right - a front-opening scoop is useless, as the entry point is in the nearly static "boundary layer" of airflow over the front of the car; that's why the scoop on a Pro-Stocker is a minimum of 12" above the normal surface of the hood.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom