Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ken, help on a MK2 - 4+3 Overdrive

I'm not familiar with the "minor mod", but I am somewhat familiar with the 4+3. Mine is an "eight speed," not by choice. It will run in OD in any of the four gears.

I don't really see a downside to this, for that matter, I don't see an upside. I normally drive mine like a five speed. As soon as I start it up, I click the button once to toggle the OD off. Then when I get it wound out in fourth, I click the button to drop in OD. If I pass someone, I usually click it rather than just mashing hard on the pedal to automatically kick it down.

I personally see no need for OD in first gear which is what the mod would do.

Good luck,

Hey Everyone => THX

Thanks to all of your replies - this is a great forum!

;worship ;worship

hey muskiemike,i am new to this also,i have learned and found out so much info with corvette action center.its nice to see someone else with an 1984,it seems all i hear about the 84's is somethings wrong or there if you even hear about the 84's.It doesnt matter to me though ,I have my dream car a corvette!I looked for a 2 months for a clean corvette in my price range and found this beautiful blue 84 vette.I can go on and on bout her.I live in the Dallas area also and havent seen another 84 yet!I have a few problems with her like a small trans. leak. And other problems you would encounter with any 20 year old car.This may sound strange but I look forward to waking up every morning knowing I am about to get into my corvette.but heres a question for all,is it true that when u go to buy a part for your vette if all possible dont tell them its for a vette cause they will charge you 5 times more for the same part that fits another GM car?For example ,I had to buy valve cover gaskets should i have just said I need them for a small block chevy not a corvette (are they the same part?).

Nice looking car Doobie ...

Are those 17 inch wheels with adapters,
or did you find some 16 inchers in that style?

Enjoy the CAC! :D

Rick

thanks alot ,yeah they are 17 inch with adapters,i fell in love with it when i saw her!I couldn't get a corvette in my 20's,so in my 30's the only thing I had was a mototrcycle for 3 years so i could get my dream!thanks again

Reply ot Doobie

Hey Doobie, and welcome to the forum, I guess I might be only a few hours ahead of you as a new member on this forum.

While I have only been on this chat board for less than a day, I can tell you, you won't be disappointed - the people responding to this board are absolutely terrific !

I too have an 84', medium grey, graphite leather, 4+3 (MK2 / MM4), Z51, all stock with 30,000 original miles on it - the only work needed was to rebuild the overdrive unit at 27,000 miles - everyone I talked too, said I was lucky to get 27,000 miles out of it.

Had it rebuilt in 1995, from a outfit in Florida who was doing 10 rebuilds a week. They rebuild it, but not to GM spec, apparently GM has a spec wrong on one of the bearings / seal and this is the point of failure, this guy resolved that point of failure. I also had the passenger plastic window belt replaced about 14 years ago.

The car runs great, perfect shape, only 30,000 original miles, still has the same hoses, belts, and Goodyear Eagles (but getting close for some new skins) .

My only wish, is that there were performance kits readily available to get more performance out the 350 crossfire, really too bad nothing is available - if you run across performance kits for the 84' vet crossfire let me know.

I live in McKinney, about 8 miles north of Plano.

Good luck!:w

cool mike,sounds like you have a good one there.Maybe sometime we can get together ,i would love to see your car!I live in Grand Prairie,in between dallas and Arlington,Your not too far.Maybe you can show and teach me some things bout my car.Do you want my email address?or can i email you?

Reply to Doobie

Hey Doobie,

As you will note from my posts here, I am not the guy to be asking questions about a 84' vet - While I think I understand the lingo and once it's explained to me I get it, but if you want expert advise, I'd ask the others to reply to your questions.

Guys like VIG, JonM and Ken have provided excellent and very, very detailed responses to my questions.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom