Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ken ....Hypo Mods and Digital Dash

maxrevs85

Corvette
!985 ,blue coupe, 4+3 Z51
Ken or anyone whom has done any of the more serious performance mods and whom have the Digital dash. I find that it seems to lag terribly behind the actual true readings . I ,m concerned more with the tach , but the oil pressure gage is also a little shakey. Curious to hear what others experience has been. I know that on my car ,in first gear ,it cant even begin to keep up . Ken i cant believe that with your rear gears , trans and HP that yours could either. Maybe mine needs some work done to it.

I never noticed the Oil gauge lagging but I know for sure the TACH IS SLOW. I had installed a shift light to compensate for the lagging tach though

yeah I noticed that myself

get a nice collection of analog gauges --- I don't use my digital dash at all except for the fuel --- too slow and doesn't read as true and accurate as the analog IMHO.

Fiddler
:)

the oil gage actually is ok it just isnt too steady , nothing bad . The tach however is slooow. I dont want to scatter the engine ,so I suppose it would be a goo idea to get the Auto Meter tach even though I'm not too crazy about the looks in the car. I would like to put a whole set of gages in if I could do it and make it look right. The acr is a hot rod . I'm not to worried about the originality. But it would have to be done right. It would be nice if you could mount them behind a dark screen and they would show thru when lit.
Fiddler ,do ypou race this car and how did you mount yours?

Plus...

if you recurse a directory up on that URL you will find a more detailed analysis layout of his mirgration from digital dash to analog and even some very nice schematics, layouts and troubleshooting info for the digital dash.

http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/

Thanks so much for the great link for this info, Jeff.
Fiddler
:)

Great Link!! Thank you!

My tach seems to lag, too, w/ this new engine, but I've not enough time with it to know.

I just might have to do this, enevn though the ECM shuts my fuel off at 6500.

:w

Truly unbelievable guys . Just what I was looking for . Looks like a great winter project to me. Thanks a bunch , much appreciated. :upthumbs

I have the same issues with my 89. When I went to the ZZ4 crate engine with mini ram setup everything works but the TACH is slow and off by at least 2-300 rpms. I've seen 7000 a couple of times via the tach on shifts and the other day running thru the gears at WOT I see 121 MPH at 6100 RPM in 4th with a 3.33 rear. That's off by a bunch as 6100 in 4th is 140 MPH OR 121 MPH is about 5300 RPM's. At this point can't say if either are very accurate under pressure so the shift light has to be the way to go to ensure things work right. If I put in a 4.10 then the problem get's more critical.

Phil (aka 89ZZ4)

If there was a kit or ready made dash for something like this I for one would do it in a heartbeat. A nice looking dash is important because that is what you see the most. Someone at Chevy had their head up their butt when they decided to go with this digital crap. I'll bet someone could sell a lot of them for us C4 guys. Even in the 92 the gauges suck. I had a 86 and liked it even less.

Sometimes the problem with the tach can be traced to a faulty tach filter. I am not sure what years had it but I do know my 85 does. And it did cause all sorts of problems...tach jumping around...would not work till it got "warm"...sometimes would not work at all...
Then to find out GM in their infinate wisdom decided not to make it any more. But I found a schematic that I can share, and have made a few. The new one works great...I reengineerd the components to take a bit more abuse and heat. So far no problems in the last year. If you want a copy of the schematic let me know...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom