Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

key re-set problem

poorboys831

Corvette
1993 ruby red coupe
Hi guys and gals-I have a re-occuring problem with my ignition. About 1 out of 6 times my key will not read in the ignition. The Security light will come on and thats it -no blinking just stay on until it re-sets itself. It's getting to be a real pain in the %$S. Does anyone know how I can by-pass the system. There seems to be no rymne or reason for it to happen. It doesn't matter if the doors are locked or any other condition. Can an ignition switch be purchased without the chip in the key? Any help will be appreciated-Dennis:w Keep Wavin'

Eckler's has a VATS bypass harness that can be wired inline that should take care of that. Take your key to Morris Chevy there on Sav. hwy in West Ashley and have them read it to tell you the "pellet" number. (should be 1-15) You need this so you can order the proper harness.

:w

Here are the key codes and thier resister value. Just measure the resistance at both sides of the chip on the key. 887 ohms = key code 4.

key number resistance

1 402

2 523

3 681

4 887

5 1130

6 1407

7 1870

8 2370

9 3010

10 3740

11 4750

12 6040

13 7500

14 9530

15 11800

Regards,
John

Good work John. ;) Guess you are an old ace at this now huh? :L

I never actually knew the code for mine ... till now 3008 ohms = 9. Thanks.

You can turn off the VATS in the computer if you have the resources to re-do the chip. FWIW

:w

Hi thanks for the info-Everything I've read about ,or seen by-passes for,refer to years '84-90,not '93's I don't have the resourses to change the computer and I'm sure the service dept will charge me an arm and a leg-does anyone know where to get a by-pass for a '93-thanks again-Dennis

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom