Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Keyhole near emblem on driver's side fender?

OldSkool

I was looking at some pics of C3's, and noticed some had a keyhole on the driver's front fender near the emblem.

What is this for? Some sort of anti-theft? Or just a hood lock?

Just curious.

Mike

That is how the alarm system was armed. It was on the rear panel until 1973 and then moved to the driver's front fender for 1974-1976, and then integrated into the drivers's side door lock in 1977 and continued through the rest of the C3 production.

Mr.Cool said:
Anti theft.

Makes a good location for a battery kill switch too...

Red VelVette said:
That is how the alarm system was armed. It was on the rear panel until 1973 and then moved to the driver's front fender for 1974-1976, and then integrated into the drivers's side door lock in 1977 and continued through the rest of the C3 production.

Mid-77, actually. Early 77's still have the key on the fender.

Arkshark you are 100 percent correct. The early 77s had them on the fender while the later 77s had them in the door handle.

I think I have seen one on a 76, I am realy not sure but I believe it was on a 76
vette.
It is for anti-theft.

Red VelVette said:

Did they all came equiped with the alarm system? I never tried mine and now it's in storage so I don't know if it's working of not?

If my car didn't came with alarm system, what's connected to the key hole?

ArkShark said:
Mid-77, actually. Early 77's still have the key on the fender.

Yep , Mines in the door :_rock

Vettehead Mikey said:
Alarms systems became standard equipment in 1971, prior to that they were RPO UA6 which cost around $25-30 at the time.

ok , so if my car does have it. what does it do when activated?

Tepot said:
ok , so if my car does have it. what does it do when activated?
There is an alarm horn located behind the drivers side rear wheelwell. When the system is activated, if a door or the hood is opened, the alarm goes off. There is a plunger switch on each door and one on the cowl at the rear of the hood. On most of these old cars the alarm horn is rusted away. The relays are in the passanger side rear stowage compartment.

tom...

Tom73 said:
There is an alarm horn located behind the drivers side rear wheelwell. When the system is activated, if a door or the hood is opened, the alarm goes off. There is a plunger switch on each door and one on the cowl at the rear of the hood. On most of these old cars the alarm horn is rusted away. The relays are in the passanger side rear stowage compartment.

tom...

Thanks. I'll have a look and try to see if it's still works, the alarm horn on my car is probably intact. Cause the rest of the car is all perfect condition. it's been in storage for the past 18 years. This car is rust free.

Lock your drivers door with the key and open the passenger door.
It should get real noisy!

Vettehead Mikey said:
Alarms systems became standard equipment in 1971, prior to that they were RPO UA6 which cost around $25-30 at the time.

It became standard in 1972.........71 it was still an option. I own a 1971 with no alarm.

cj5nutz said:
Lock your drivers door with the key and open the passenger door.
It should get real noisy!

So I guess that I would have to shut off the alarm system by turning the key?

I just don't want to look to stupid when I set the alarm off and disturb all the neibors. ahah. I wanna make sure I can stop it.

Yes-you use the key in the lock to shut it off. Don't be surprised if it does not work. I have judged pristine "survivors" with less than 1K miles with no rust and they do not work. Seems the wiring connectors and relays are susceptable to corrode even in the best of conditions. Should be relatively easy to repair if it is not working though given the condition of yours.

On my 1976 it is on the drivers front fender...MAN is it loud when it goes off.....I use to set mine off by accidient.....

Andy

cj5nutz said:
Yep...What he said

Okay, funny story. I got lied to. At a car show a asked a guy what the keyhole on the fender was for and he said it was a precaution called a 'vallet key' that you simply turned the key and it shut down four or the eight cylinders. So the vallet couldn't hot rod in your car. I left confused, but it all makes sense now!! lol

Nate

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom