Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Leaking RTD shock followed by pricing shock

2redvettes

Corvette
2000 Mag Red Convertible
I found two days ago that one of the front shocks on my 2000 vert is leaking. Car has 27k miles on it. It has F-45 Selective Ride and as others have mentioned, replacement price is high. $781 each from the dealer. $507 from gmpartshouse.com. Still a bit pricey for my liking.

I could replace them all with KYB gas shocks fo $100 each but will need a RTD simulator kit from Casper's Electronics for $169. $569 total for that route.

I am leaning towards buying a RTD replacement shock and hope another does not fail anytime soon.

Anyone else encounter this issue?
What was your solution?

HI there,
My solution was to do an upgrade to F55 Magnetic ride control.
This system, when installed correctly is an AWESOME upgrade and much better then the F45 it replaces.
GM Performance parts has an entire kit, with controller, shocks, adaptive wiring harness and costs JUST SLIGHTLY MORE then replacing all 4 F45 shocks.
Allthebest, c4c5

Thanks for the input. I am familiar with the MagRide system but was not aware that it could be used to replace an existing F45 system on a pre-F-55 car.

Since I have no complaints about my current suspension (other than the leak) I'm not ready to spend $4k to correct a leak problem with an upgraded sytem.

In hindsight, I should have shopped for a Z-51 car instead of an F-45. My wife has Z-51 on her car and it rides very nice.

If they are BILSTEIN you can contact them and they will rebuild them.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom