Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

lets here from the experts on gelcoat

vette

Corvette
1966 coupe
lets here from the experts. first are corvettes gelcoated from the factory? second do you use gelcoat after stripping the cars or a high build polyester primer? now when i say gelcoat i mean gelcoat like used in molds and applied with a gelcoat gun. third, do you need a polyester based primer at all?

To gelcoat or not to gelcoat that is the question. This subject seems to come up repeatedly on this forum and I believe the knowledgeable people here have busted the myth about gelcoating, but let them speak for themselves, as I am no expert on the subject. I have asked the same question myself. Im sure you will get a reply soon.

1. I am no expert, but I am a student of Corvette history
2. I have heard before, and most recently just saw it again confirmed (on the corvetteforum) that only very early Corvettes (like 53's) had a gelcoat factory applied. So the big General himself didn't do it that way, if you take good guidance from that.
3. As for how to best approach in this matter if engaged in prepping my Corvette (65) for the very best result for a new paint job starting with a bare (sanded, media blasted? another debate!) body, I only know what was done to mine back in 1997 during a frame-off resto (Prior owner) - no gelcoat. I have not had to make that decision yet myself.

well i am one who gelcoated and i admit its alot of work to sand,but the results i was after im happy with.I mustve blocksanded for months but in the end its straight and a great smooth finish.T he main reason i did was there was so many errand strands of fiberglass sticking up.I also gelcoated it in blue so i had a great color base to start with.Its been almost 7 years and absolutley no problems.Also when i gelcoated then i applied a mold release formula like a green wax over it so the gelocat dried,then a few days just washed it off with soap and water.

427. thanks for posting that.The heating of the car is also very important when new panels or major repairs have been done. we are lucky to have a guy nearby that powdercoats and lets me use his oven to bake the bodys. i heat them to 225 F. for 1 hour and that works fine. for any guys wanting to know an easy way to bake your body, put the car in the sun and wrap it in black plastic. tape it up tight and let sit out side for a week or two. of course this only works in the summer. if anyone has a way of doing this post it.

Gelcoat wasn't needed when the fenders were new and the paint facility in StLouis had more than twice the capacity of the assembly line - so that some cars could get repainted a couple of times when bubbles and other problems arose. IMO gelcoat is cheap insurance against having to strip and repaint a car made of old abused (previously stripped and repainted) fiberglass. The factory could afford to paint them 2, 3, or 4 times over. Can you?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom