Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Long Term Storage Start Up Help

Sky6

Corvette
2002 z06
I am in the military and have been gone and deployed for over 2 years. I stored my 2002 c5 z06 corvette in my garage. I put in fuel stabilizer and a battery charger. I did not put it on blocks so I guess I will have to replace the tires and the battery. I am in no way a car mechanic and I want to make sure the car has done to it what needs to be done correctly so it is not hurt during start up. So, I am thinking of having the local chevy dealer bring a flat bed over and have it taken to the dealer so they can go over it and make sure it is properly prepped before start up. Does this make sense to you all? Please let me know what you think. God Bless USA!:thumb

First and foremost: Thank you for your service to our great nation. :pat

Second: :welcome

Now for your inquiry; I'm no mechanic either, but I'm sending a link to this thread to a couple of members who are. They should check in soon with some suggestions/advice to get you started.

Enjoy the CAC!
:wJane Ann

From a person who has put many vehicles back into service after long naps- charge the battery, change the oil and filter, check all other fluids very carefully especially brakes, turn the key and off you go for a gentle test ride around the block. Make sure your brakes are 100%. It's possible that your tires might have flat spots, but also possible that these will work themselves out after a few minutes of driving.

No need to send the car off to dealer- they won't have a clue what to do other than a bunch of motherhood/CYA stuff of dubious benefit.

From a person who has put many vehicles back into service after long naps- charge the battery, change the oil and filter, check all other fluids very carefully especially brakes, turn the key and off you go for a gentle test ride around the block. Make sure your brakes are 100%. It's possible that your tires might have flat spots, but also possible that these will work themselves out after a few minutes of driving.

No need to send the car off to dealer- they won't have a clue what to do other than a bunch of motherhood/CYA stuff of dubious benefit.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I can't add much,other than I usually just spin a new filter on them and warm them good a few times, and then change Oil and Filter! Sometimes there will be some dried out crud in the top end that will break loose and end up in the pan anyway,This way it gets flushed out with the oil change!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Happy Motoring!~!! :beer

I store my 3 Corvettes, including my 2002 Z06, for a minimum of 6 months each year. I do everthing I can to prepare them for storage so that I only have to check the oil level and air pressure and do a general visual inspection when I remove them from storage. It usually takes about 6 to 8 hours per Corvette. You did not list all of the things that you did before storing, so I can't really comment on everything, but have some general suggestions. I do agree with the above posts that flatbedding the Z06 to the dealer is not necessary unless you suspect or find a problem. I would start the car, let it run for awhile, check for leaks and idle response, then make decisions on what must be done. A good chevy dealer can change out your fluids using the BG systems for anitfreeze, brake, clutch and power steering fluids. They can also remove the gasoline from the tank system. The dealer can place the Z06 on a lift and look at the drive shaft seals and axle gear housings; they can also check the oil pan for leaks. You may want to change these out if you have high mileage. Check your tires for cracks and then drive the Z06 to determine if the flat spots, if any, go away. I never put my Corvettes on blocks so that I do not stress the suspension. I have never had flat spots. Since you have a 2002, the fuel filter should be replaced - it is located outside of the fuel tank. Also, as stated above, get the fuel out of the tank as soon as possible, either be driving of syphoning. Then get fresh fuel (top tier) into the tank and run the engine. You may want to add some Techron 20 to the tank to start internal cleaning. Change the oil and the filter. Also, inspect your weatherstripping; apply weatherstipping grease to it to soften it. Check your hoses and belt. If the serpentine belt has cracks in it, replace it at your first opportunity. If the hoses are defective or leaking, replace them. Also, wash and wax the enterior, clean and lubricate the seats, vinyl and door hinges. Lubricate the hinges on the hood and trunk struts. Clean the carpets. Run thru all of your electrical components, and check the DIC for codes. Make sure your fob works (you may need a new battery). Check all of your lamps. Look at the condition of the shocks for leaks and test them by pushing down on the bumpers, they should rebound to the set position without additional movement. You could have your A/C checked also, but run it first and monitor it to see if it continues to cool the air.

I hope this helps, and it will be appreciated if you report back to us on anything you find after you remove the Z06 from storage. Will be a good reference to others. And as Jane Ann says, thanks for serving. You are a first class hero in my book.

Barrett

I am in the military and have been gone and deployed for over 2 years. I stored my 2002 c5 z06 corvette in my garage. I put in fuel stabilizer and a battery charger. I did not put it on blocks so I guess I will have to replace the tires and the battery. I am in no way a car mechanic and I want to make sure the car has done to it what needs to be done correctly so it is not hurt during start up. So, I am thinking of having the local chevy dealer bring a flat bed over and have it taken to the dealer so they can go over it and make sure it is properly prepped before start up. Does this make sense to you all? Please let me know what you think. God Bless USA!:thumb

I would just replace the oil and filter, disconnect the coil packs or injectors (or remove the fuel pump relay) and crank it over with the battery until you build some oil pressure. If it cranks over good and builds oil pressure, then connect what ever you disconnected and start it up. Check your tire pressures and all fluid levels and go drive it. Run a couple tanks of fuel through it with either Techron Concentrate Plus or BG44K and you should be good. Your tires should be fine after driving for a while, but two years is a long time for a battery to sit even with a charger so I would highly recommend having the battery properly load tested with a carbon pile tester to be sure that it is still good, keeping in mind that a bad or weak battery can still start your vehicle ok. After driving for a couple of times to be sure that all still works good, changing all the fluids would be a very good idea. I probably wouldn't spend the money on a dealer service for this unless they have a very seasoned (read older) corvette mechanic that knows these vehicles VERY well as most dealership techs will recommend everything under the sun when they hear it has sat for two years. Good luck with it. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom