Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Long tube header gains vs problems

CeeFive

Corvette
2008 VR ZO6
I have an 02 coupe with Z catbacks and a Blackwing and I am thinking of installing the best headers I can get, either LG or TPIS.I also need to get the best high flow cats that will not alter emissions. I am wondering what I can realisticaly expect to gain with this setup and what the problems will be after they are installed.Will it make the system much louder? Ground clearance, leaks at flanges, heat or emissions? I remember some of these problems years ago on my Z28 and would like to avoid. Also, how hard are they to install assuming one has access to a lift? Thanks for any imput.

You may want to look at the FLPs, a complete system with the cats. From what I've seen and the people I've spoken with, everyone seems to be universally satisified on quality and emissions.

Here's the link to the manufacturer's web site: http://www.flpexhaust.com/

I have the flp's with high flow cats and x pipe on my Z06. I'd say its very very close to stock..if not quieter at idle (because of the X pipe) This easily bolt on system retains your complete stock setup should you ever decide to sell the car and the buyer prefers a stock system.

The beauty of this flp with titanium Z06 Corvette exhaust is that its pretty much stock until about 4000 rpms...

Thats when it sounds very exotic. IMHO.

Theres a special on FLP's C5 setup right now too..which is what brought me to this thread.. A 15% discount off the normal 1600 price is a good deal.

If you haven't seen this on the net yet..email and I can give you some ideas on who to contact.

I also like the new kooks headers that are out for the C5 as well. Priced very well and stainless steel.

I agree on the Kook's. Well worth consideration. :upthumbs

Robert

FLP's or HP Corvette's Grizzlies

EHS said:
You may want to look at the FLPs, a complete system with the cats. From what I've seen and the people I've spoken with, everyone seems to be universally satisified on quality and emissions.

Here's the link to the manufacturer's web site: http://www.flpexhaust.com/

I agree with either FLP's or HP Corvette's Grizzly Headers. Both are excellent in quality and fit. http://www.hpperformancecorvettes.com/

If you want the best headers, go for LGM or Kooks. The TPIS are an old design and are not stainless steel, so you either have to coat them, or live with rust.

fdxpilot said:
If you want the best headers, go for LGM or Kooks. The TPIS are an old design and are not stainless steel, so you either have to coat them, or live with rust.
I recently took delivery of some 1 3/4" Kook's. Quality appears to be excellent. Still rounding up some other things first before the install. Looking forward to it. :D

Robert

Kooks coated?

fdxpilot said:
I just dynoed a car yesterday that had Kooks on it. They were stainless steel. Does Kook offer them ceramic coated too?

I've got stainless steel long tube headers, x-pipe, and Corsa exhaust...no cats, emissions aren't a problem here. My headers were custom made for the car, and I haven't had any problems with them whatsoever. From what I've heard from friends, LGM headers are really good and pair up well with the Random Technologies high flow cats. Most people I've talked to have gotten about 30 rwhp out of that setup.

I have a Corsa Pace car exhaust, Blackwing and LG Headers. Here is the dyno after install. No edit or tuning needed.

2003 Coupe

dynopic.jpg

That's not a complete dyno graph

BlackC5PassU said:
I have a Corsa Pace car exhaust, Blackwing and LG Headers. Here is the dyno after install. No edit or tuning needed.

2003 Coupe

dynopic.jpg

You're missing the most important part -- the air fuel graph. That's what makes power/torque when you add headers. Do you have that piece?

I'll bet money it's rich, say in the 11's around 6000 rpm, right?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom