Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Lost Power, rough run

J

JJMM65

I have a '65 327/365. Took it out of winter storage yesterday. It was stored 3 months in heated space, started twice in 3 months. Had trickle-charger on it the whole time. Carb rebuild and full tune-up last fall.

Yesterday it turned over fine, but took a bit to catch and run. I assumed that was due to not running for a while. Once it caught, it ran rough, sputtered, backfired thru the carb a couple of times. I drove a few miles, added some fresh gas. Drove about 15 miles - ran rough the whole time - and entire electrical system spontaneously shut down. Battery was completely drained. Charged the battery, started right up. It starts every time, and stays running, but very rough - idles at about 500-600. If i give it gas, it sputters - like it's "missing"?

Any thoughts? Alternator? Fouled plugs? Distributor?

I have a '65 327/365. Took it out of winter storage yesterday. It was stored 3 months in heated space, started twice in 3 months. Had trickle-charger on it the whole time. Carb rebuild and full tune-up last fall.

Yesterday it turned over fine, but took a bit to catch and run. I assumed that was due to not running for a while. Once it caught, it ran rough, sputtered, backfired thru the carb a couple of times. I drove a few miles, added some fresh gas. Drove about 15 miles - ran rough the whole time - and entire electrical system spontaneously shut down. Battery was completely drained. Charged the battery, started right up. It starts every time, and stays running, but very rough - idles at about 500-600. If i give it gas, it sputters - like it's "missing"?

Any thoughts? Alternator? Fouled plugs? Distributor?

I'd look for distributor problems - condensation on rotor tip and cap contacts, corroded/burned contact points, etc. Drained battery also indicates charging system problems.

Have you done any work on it since you stored it?

I had a problem with back-fire and loss of power on my 1966 after it sat for about 10 months. As it turned out it was the 45+ year old distributor. The plate that holds the weights and rotates on the shaft was corroded and sticking. I took the distributor out of the engine to try and clean it up but did not do any good. So I replaced it and all my problems vanished. Take the cap off and check this plate for free play. You should be able to move it a little and it should spring back into place.

Thanks guys - will check these things over the weekend. I have not done any work to it since stored. Distributor seems like the likely culprit as i've given it more thought the last few days.

Just to close the loop - i appreciate the input you provided. Good to know someone reads these and takes the time to offer their expertise.
My problem ended up being my positive battery cable from the starter solenoid. It was in direct contact with the spark plug ignition shielding, which wore through the insulation and created a major short. That explains why it suddenly quit when driving home, and i'm sure why it was running rouogh, with that much ebergy being sucked out. I replaced the cable, made sure there is enough slack and no contact, and seems fixed now. Of course, i only discovered this after replacing the points and condenser a couple of times and exploring numerous other avenues. But at least i now know how to properly gap a set of points! Thank again for your advice.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom