Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Low tire pressure indicator on dash.

vette.vato

Corvette
2004 coup/commemorative edition
I have the low tire pressure indicator on my corvettte, and would like to know if anyone knows how to either reset it, or remove. I currently have 30 psi on all four tires, but low pressure indicator will not go away.

Does it say which tire is low? What is the recommended pressure (as stated on the driver door end panel)?

I don't think the C-4 & C-5'S have the same systems?

You have a 2004?

Probably one of your wheel sensors are bad. If you have a C-5, that should be easy to fix, from what I understand. If you have a C-4, difficult. On C-4, each wheel at its position has its own unique sensor, and would be very involved to figure out which one is bad, besides, I don't think that any may be available from GM.. I have a similar problem, good pressure, but the light shows up. Ignore the lite, put a piece of black tape over the lite. or pull the bulb, mentioned somewhere on this site on how to do that.

Probably one of your wheel sensors are bad. If you have a C-5, that should be easy to fix, from what I understand. If you have a C-4, difficult. On C-4, each wheel at its position has its own unique sensor, and would be very involved to figure out which one is bad, besides, I don't think that any may be available from GM.. I have a similar problem, good pressure, but the light shows up. Ignore the lite, put a piece of black tape over the lite. or pull the bulb, mentioned somewhere on this site on how to do that.

You can find the bad sensor by selectively lowering tire pressure on one tire at a time to 20 lbs and driving a mile or so. A bad sensor will noirmally NOT set the light on.

You can find the bad sensor by selectively lowering tire pressure on one tire at a time to 20 lbs and driving a mile or so. A bad sensor will noirmally NOT set the light on.

But if all the tire pressure is correct, and the message, LTPWS appears, it has to be a sensor giving a faulty reading.
This may work: if you change all the tires out for ones with no sensors, I don't think you will get a message. At that point just keep replacing a tire one at a time with a tire that has a sensor, when the message appears, that would be the faulty one.

But if all the tire pressure is correct, and the message, LTPWS appears, it has to be a sensor giving a faulty reading.
This may work: if you change all the tires out for ones with no sensors, I don't think you will get a message. At that point just keep replacing a tire one at a time with a tire that has a sensor, when the message appears, that would be the faulty one.

Aha. LTPWS means Low Tire Pressure Warning System is in error. In my 89 that tells me that one or more of the sensors isn't responding. However the working sensors can still throw a Low Tire Pressure alarm. By selectively lowering the pressure on each tire yiou can find which sensors DON'T set an alarm - they're the culprits. That's how I found I had two bad sensors. I bought them from another CAC member.

Aha. LTPWS means Low Tire Pressure Warning System is in error. In my 89 that tells me that one or more of the sensors isn't responding. However the working sensors can still throw a Low Tire Pressure alarm. By selectively lowering the pressure on each tire yiou can find which sensors DON'T set an alarm - they're the culprits. That's how I found I had two bad sensors. I bought them from another CAC member.

Thanks for the info. My message comes on as soon as I drive the car for about 10 min. If I lowered the pressure, the message will come on anyhow. No?? Or if I lower the pressure in each tire, selectively, the bad sensor WILL NOT make the message come on?? Is this correct? Thanks again.

I just bought a 91 and drove it from North Carolina to Michigan this weekend. It also has the low tire pressure warning system. It functioned flawlessly on the 916 mile trip.
I purchased a set of C5 wheels and new tires to put on it and have sold the 91's wheels and tires (tires to someone in Michigan, wheels to someone in New Mexico). I have pulled the sensor bands off and will sell them to you if you want them.
PM me with your offer. They work fine. Problem solved.
I don't post a lot here. I am Corvetteronw on the big Forum and well known there.
Not sure what to charge. Look them up on Ebay and see what a used set goes for. I'll sell them cheaper. I plan to pull the bulb from my DIC.:chuckle
I bought a set of the champagne color 03 C5 anniversary wheels. The car is steel blue metallic and these wheels really look nice against this color.:beer

Thanks for the info. My message comes on as soon as I drive the car for about 10 min. If I lowered the pressure, the message will come on anyhow. No?? Or if I lower the pressure in each tire, selectively, the bad sensor WILL NOT make the message come on?? Is this correct? Thanks again.

You are correct kemo sabe. the LTPWS system warning will come on anytime all 4 sensors don't talk to mama, but any working sensor will also continue to warn of low pressure. be certain to lower the pressure to below the level it needs. I believe that's 20 psi.

If you have a C-4 with the 16 pin DLC this shud work. This comes from David-F who I have not heard from in a long time.

Each sensor is specific to a specific wheel. This is done to facilitate trouble shooting. They are color coded so it can be determined which corner of the car they belong on. I think that 91 to 93's are different from the remaining years. Believe all ZO-7'S have same size tires so they can be rotated...the wheels have labels on them so you know which sensor is which.

To diagnose the LTPWS on a 94 and 95 just use a paper clip and jump the 5 and 6 terminal of the 16 pin ALDL connector counting from the top left. And turn the key on and watch the service LTPWS light and see if there are any codes set in the system.
12- system is able to diagnose
23- right rear low tire pressure
24- wheel sensor DTC
33- left rear low tire pressure
34- left rear sensor DTC
43- left front low tire pressure
44- left front sensor DTC
53- right front low tire pressure
54- right front sensor DTC
99- possible reciver fault

To clear codes use the paper clip to jump and unjump the two terminals 3 times in 10 seconds, the lights will all come on ans stay untill you cycle the key.

David Fulcher

Mine is a '96. I have a code scanner, that I got from Pep Boys. My understanding is that these codes would not show up. Don't remember what my results were(brain freeze). Are you saying that if you jump the connector the codes wioll show up? Thanks

Mine is a '96. I have a code scanner, that I got from Pep Boys. My understanding is that these codes would not show up. Don't remember what my results were(brain freeze). Are you saying that if you jump the connector the codes wioll show up? Thanks

The complete C4 Corvette Information Source - www.c4vettes.com

Yes , it can tell you which sensor is bad. The codes can't be pulled with a scanner so far as I know. The DLC method works, as I used it on one occasion.

Thanks I'll try this. But not too soon now, I disconnected for the winter. Lucky we hit 30 tomorrow, and salt dust on the roads. Aah, so. cal

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom