Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lower

Larry's Yellow Rdstr

Corvette
05 black cpe-Porsche GT3
My 87 vert goes in Monday morning to be lowered. Got the kit at VBP, a CAC sponsor. Very nice people, especially Patti. They have just about everything you could want for Corvette suspension. Not in any way affiliated with these folks.

Larry's Yellow Rdstr said:
My 87 vert goes in Monday morning to be lowered. Got the kit at VBP, a CAC sponsor. Very nice people, especially Patti. They have just about everything you could want for Corvette suspension. Not in any way affiliated with these folks.

I'd be interested in before and after pics to see the difference. I'm "toying" with the lowering idea myself.......

How much lower are you going?

I may not lower the front at all. Its the back I'm really concerned with. Wheel space is about 4". I would like to lower the back 2"+ if I can. We will see tomorrow morning.
I had new Bilsteins installed a few months ago and the car rides VERY stiff in the back only. Hope the lowering helps, as it will change the spring geometry?

PS The rear end rides as if there was no suspension at all. Frame bolted to the body effect, with no give. Standard Z52 suspension as far as I know.

Agent 86 said:
Don't expect much drop in the front:Buttslap

Huh? Any lower and my fronts would rub the wheel wells!
Hardtopforwinter1.jpg

just got 2, 1/2, 10 inch long grade 8 bolts for $8 bucks. now to lower!!
my plan for now is to have the same wheel to fender gap in the back as it is in the front.

aboutguy,

Your car looks awesome!! How hard is the front to do? The back is a no-brainer, but the front puzzles me, from what I have read so far. Can you enlighten me some on how to go about it? TIA.

Rich K

The VBP kit only lowered my 87 about 1.5 inches in the rear. We didn't lower the front at this time. The car sits more level and since the back is down I get a better angle looking out the front window. I'm satisfied. On to another project.

Agent 86 said:
Your saying, all you did was put the wedges from the kit in the front and thats the drop you got.;)

No, but since the spring is out for the wedge install it is simple to cut half of the rubber end pieces off of the spring. Compared to lowering other cars I have worked on this is an easy drop. It just seems like a PITA due to the ease of dropping the rear.

As for just dropping the rear, it has been reported many times that without rake the C4 loses its high speed stability. I guess I have mine right, it still feels solid in excess of 150mph.

thirdtimevetteowner said:
aboutguy,

Your car looks awesome!! How hard is the front to do? The back is a no-brainer, but the front puzzles me, from what I have read so far. Can you enlighten me some on how to go about it? TIA.

Rich K

I used the wedges from (MA) and cut half of the rubber bumpers off of the spring ends. The job is pretty simple you will have to split the lower ball joint and remove the spring. There is a group of guys that swear that removing the rubber spring pads and not replacing them with wedges works fine. However, I am a member of that camp, (I don't like the thought of fiberglass rubbing on steel).

Jeroenvgfn said:
I saw the pic of the 95 Vert , and that looks really COOL.
I want this too :)

without having searched the forum,

Is there a how-to on lowering the rear ?

You replace the 2 stock bolts with two longer bolts. It really is that simple. Jack the car up on the rear spring. I use a two X four to protect the spring and remove the bolt, take washers and bushings off of old bolt place on new bolt and install new longer bolt (I had new bushings from my poly bushing kit)and repeat on other side. I have been able to perform this task with out removing the rear tires. However, removing the rear tire will make accessing the bolt much easier. Drive the car a few days, measure to see that the drop was even (left to right) then take it in for an alignment.

Mike

:upthumbs thanks,

The only thing that worries me is the alignment adjustment.
should I count the windings to be equal left and right ?

What do you guys think should I go to the local hardware store to fetch me the bolts and washers ?

or is it better to order a kit from the well known Corvette suppliers.

When I order in the USA If have the problem that it will cost me double because of shipping and taxes and importduties. :eyerole

thanks for your help, from a nearly no-brainer called Bubba :D

The VBP kit only lowered my 87 about 1.5 inches in the rear. We didn't lower the front at this time. The car sits more level and since the back is down I get a better angle looking out the front window. I'm satisfied. On to another project.

Can you post pictures of finnished project?

Don

Can you post pictures of finished project?

Don

my 86 went up like that after i put the KYB shocks on. and some say the Bilsteins never go bad?????? yeah. i may mess with the front some time, but i am hitting stuff with my lower spoiler all ready. thats some thing else to buy. but i figure the 2 1/2 by 10" long grade 8 bolts only cost me about $8 bucks will be well worth it to aleast get her level.

I have the Koni shocks front and rear. and the higher wheels were on when I bought the car 6 years ago.

since they were brand new I decided to wear them out first before buying new tires.

now finally the tires are worn So I bought a set of almost new 255/50/16 Cooper tires.

That will lower the car already a bit but to close the huge gap between body and tire I am gonna use a lowering kit.

I got a special price from VBP for their lowering set, but I have to browse a bit before I decide to buy, shipping costs are $20 :confused
then I have to add the import duties and taxes which makes a total of nearly $100.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom