Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lowered 89 - headers clearance?

CTYANK2

Corvette
1989 Black Convertible. 2011 VY Z06 KATECH #100
My 89 convertible has been lowered front and rear. Will clearance of headers be a problem? Thinking of TPIS headers but I am concerned that with the car lowered I will be dragging the headers on every driveway/speed bump out there.
Any information about this would be appreciated.

PS: Another question - What performace improvement should I anticipate with a basically stock (K&N, open lid, Accel distributor, Borla mufflers, gutted main catalitic converter, camber brace) Automatic 3:07 ? (I'll get to the intake changes in the future but I just wanted to find out what performance improvement I'll get in the meantime.)

I also have a 89 vert. I believe that the stock rear end gear ratio was 2.59 to 1! That's what mine has.

I think 3.08's were the "performance" option.

Radar

I have more of a clearance issue with my Lakewood bellhousing than I do with the TPiS headers, and I've added flanges to my headers. The TPiS headers are of the slip-on type but I converted to flanges when I built my system.

Radar said:
I also have a 89 vert. I believe that the stock rear end gear ratio was 2.59 to 1! That's what mine has.

I think 3.08's were the "performance" option.

Radar

Your are correct about the 2;59s being stock! I just upgraded to a rebuilt 3:07 at the end of last year. It is my understanding that the performance option was 3:07 in 1989. (or if you want, 3:08, close enough!)

Ken said:
I have more of a clearance issue with my Lakewood bellhousing than I do with the TPiS headers, and I've added flanges to my headers. The TPiS headers are of the slip-on type but I converted to flanges when I built my system.

Wow - just looked over your home page, that's some car (and lots of good stuff too). Is your vette lowered front + rear?

CTYANK2 said:
Wow - just looked over your home page, that's some car (and lots of good stuff too). Is your vette lowered front + rear?

Yeah, Ken has one heckuva ride.

Ken, show him the receipt book!:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom