Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LS1 Engine to Mid Year

KTM

Corvette
1967 Convertible
I am planing to start a new project. This time no more restoration for me. I have found ´65 coupe witch has seen lot´s of many things. I planned to install LS1 engine and T56 trans from Camaro or Firebird. Has anybody here done this before? Does someone do enginemounting parts and how you have done electrical jobs?

KTM,
As far as the electronics are concerned, use the "Painless" brand of harness. They advertize in Hot Rod, Super Chevy, etc. Good lick.
Don

KTM,

Street and Performance is the king of late-model engines in early cars! They have almost every part to put almost any modern engine into almost any early model car. They have a nice set of motor mount adapter plates that attach to the LS1 and then you can use standard early model motor mounts. The plates locate the engine so that all original motor and trans mounts bolt right up. They also do a complete line of accessory drives and all the little bits and peices you will need including computer programing and engine wiring harnesses. I am doind a LS engine into a 59 corvette right now, and I have used them for a lot of parts.
Regards, John McGraw

Thank you all for very good links. Somehow this project may go to right direction now on :)

I am going to be starting the 72 soon, and I need to know how many things I am going to need to have adapters for.

I will be using a 76 coupe frame witch had a automatic trans, and I will be converting to a 6 speed( dont know which one at this point) I already have the pedals but what am I going to need fabricated? I have the automatic crossmember for the trans so It is removable so I dont need that. I am only using the 72s rear vert body. What do I need to start getting lined up so I dont sit and wait once I get this one rolling? BORDERBUM

You are going to need a trans mount of some kind. A buddy of mine has plans for an adapter from the manual crossmember for the T56, but I don't know if it will work for the auto member. You will need custom motor mounts and a custom shifter. Also a mount for the clutch master cylinder will need to be made. The driveshaft will have to be shortened and the fuel system redone. You will either need a wiring harness or modify the stock LS1 harness to work, a small fuse block and some relays. Pick up some electric fans and some sort of air intake.

I am sure I forgot something. Shoot me an email for specifics.

BaconJB@centurytel.net

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom