Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT-5 vs. LT1 and LT4, weight

1996 LT4 Topic
S

secondchance

Anyone know weights of LT-5, LT1, LT4, and LSx?
Just curious.

Good question. I'd be curious to know the diferences also. My "Heart of the Beast" book probably gives the info somewhere for the LT-5.......I'll have to look and see if I can find it.

Jay

Stay tuned. I'm researching this and have an inquiry in at GM Powertrain.

What got me curious is, according to Motortrend, 93 LT1 weighed in at 3333 lb and 93 ZR-1 weighed at 3503. Thats a lot of extra weight for 3 in wider tail, revised doors and wider wheels and tires.:confused

Ok. I still can't find the engine weight for the LT5 engine. According to one of the LT5 technical manuals I have, the 1990 LT5 engine weighs approximately 39 lbs more than a 1990 L98 engine. However, it does not state what those weights are for both engines.

I was able to get the weight of the 1996 LT1/LT4 engines from GM Powertrain, but as was relayed to me in the email, they may not be 100% accurate. Here they are:

For the 1996 LT1 and 1996 LT4:

LT1 Mass: 785.3 lbs (356.2 kg)
LT4 Mass: 1003.5 lbs (455.2 kg)

For the 2001 LS1 and 2001 LS6:

LS1 Total Dressed Engine Weight: Auto. - 457.6 lbs. (208 kg); Manual - 497.2 lbs (226 kg)
LS6 Total Dressed Engine Weight: (Manual only) - 497.2 lbs (226 kg)

If anyone can find legitimate documentation showing the mass/weight of the L98 and LT5 engines, let me know and I'll update the Specification pages.

Wow, never realized that there could be soooo much weight differential in engine weight. Especially between LT vs. LS. More than 200 lbs difference between LT1 and LT4! Amazing.
Great job, Rob.;worship
Now, this is a great trivia to impress psuedo motorheads.:D

Tthe LT1/LT4 is a cast iron block. The LS1/LS6 is cast aluminum which weighs approximately 107.1 lbs (48.6 kg). :) All of this found in our Model Center. :D

HAH! I knew I had some more specs. buried somewhere:

1989 L98:

Total Dressed Engine Mass (Dry Weight) -

Automatic Trans: 541.2 lbs (245.5 kg)
Manual Trans: 592.2 lbs (268.6 kg)

Then, based on LT-5 weighing 39 lbs more than L-98, put LT-5 at roughly 632 LBS, still 150 lbs less than LT1. So, wider body, wheels, tires, beefier tranny, etc..., adds 320 lbs?
Something is not adding up.:confused

Very interesting.

I'm still not confident of the numbers for the LT1/LT4 engine that I got from my source at GM Powertrain. I now know that I have the specs at home that should compare a '92 LT1 with a '92 LT5. I thought I grabbed them when I walked out the door this morning and I took the wrong ones. Hang tight. :)

vettaholic said:
Then, based on LT-5 weighing 39 lbs more than L-98, put LT-5 at roughly 632 LBS, still 150 lbs less than LT1. So, wider body, wheels, tires, beefier tranny, etc..., adds 320 lbs?
Something is not adding up.:confused

Very interesting.

I also believe on the ZR1 the Heater box is different, I know the Brake booster on a ZR1 is metal, not Plastic like the LT1/L98s.

Also What other things are on the ZR-1 besides the body. There are Dual fuel pumps in the Tank, LTx/L98 only have one. I think that there are many other things not accounted for.

Fiberglass is also not that light considering the Doors are wider and heavier

I wonder if the LT1 and LT4 weights include transmissions... There really is no way for an LT4 to outweigh an LT1 by that much... not to mention the weight itself seems way too high... I am betting the 6 speed is heavier than an auto.... This is the only sense I can make of everything:confused

Vettelt193 said:
I wonder if the LT1 and LT4 weights include transmissions... There really is no way for an LT4 to outweigh an LT1 by that much... not to mention the weight itself seems way too high... I am betting the 6 speed is heavier than an auto.... This is the only sense I can make of everything:confused

I know for a fact that a ZF6 weighs around 150 lbs. DRY

I would think that part of the reason the Zr1 is heavier is that it is a fully loaded car in its stock form. The weight of the LT1 car is probably without any options. All the options would probably account for a 100 pounds or so.

putting 100lbs or so into a car isn't that hard. think about all the mass that was added. 2 cars that look the same can weight in at 500lbs difference very easy so 100 or so really wouldn't matter it seems to me. like one guy said base options compared to fully loaded is a BIG difference! and probably the difference in the ZR-1 is in the doors and roof not only the tail but didn't all 91-96 vettes have the same body shape? i would assume the ZR-1 is built more rigid than a base coupe for safety reasons thus adding more weight........

1990 - 1992 LT5 Total Dressed Dry Engine Weight: 270.5 KG (596 lbs)

I knew it was just a matter of time till I found out. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom