Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 Collector Edition

1996 LT4 Topic
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
2,509
Location
Tallahassee, FL
Corvette
none right now :(
I really don't drive my 'vette much anymore... anyone interested in a '96 CE LT4? I am thinking under $15k will buy it. I would rather trade for an Automatic convertible of any year.

to start off with:
The car is NOT perfect. if you are looking for perfect, go buy some other car.

Under 50k miles
Silver / Torch Red interior
Both tops
Z51
Bose CD / Cassette
Sport Seats
6-Speed / LT4
factory 5-spoke CE wheels (275's on all 4 corners thanks to Z51)
Painted Red brake Calipers
Muffler eliminators
K&N filter with open air box +TB air foil
Tires are in great shape
always used Mobil 1

Now, the bad parts:
engine leaks oil (has since I bought it in 2001). it is a very slow leak (you don't even notice the drop on the dipstick between changes), but can be annoying to some...

The drivers window needs a track, it is slightly off kilter

The passenger side headlight needs bushings

The clutch and flywheel are new--Fidanza lightweight flywheel and new clutch from mid america. under 1500 miles on them, with 1000 of them highway. the bad news is it shakes like heck when trying to take off slow. I am told it will 'break in' but it hasn't as of yet. If i were buying the car, I would plan on the expense of having it redone in case it doesn't 'break-in'

Check engine light is on. it goes out sometimes, but will come back on. It has been like this since I bought the car. It runs great though.

passenger side air vent is broken. one of the vents control knob thing broke. plan on buying a new vent setup from a salvage yard. A/C works just find, and it still blows out find, the passenger just can't control one of the 2 vents

The front bumper could use a re-paint. it has a bunch of stone chips in it, and a section that has flaked off and needs touch-up.

In cold weather it can be tough to shift, BUT i switched to Mobil 1 when I did the clutch and it has seemed to make things much better. I had trouble with reverse before, and now it shifts fine into reverse too.

Parking brake does not work, don't need it down here in the flatlands of FL so I never fixed it.


All in all, the car is really nice, but not a show car. A great car for cruise-ins though and, best of all, DRIVING. I drove it up to the 50th ann. in nashville, and many other places... I just took it to South Florida not long ago on a 1000 mile round trip and it ran great.
 
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
2,509
Location
Tallahassee, FL
Corvette
none right now :(
I know under 15k is great for an LT4 with under 50k miles, you can drop 2k into it to make it perfect if you want to.... no one has any comments or questions?
 

Edmond

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2001
Messages
5,218
Location
Louisiana
Corvette
2003 Z06
It seems like C4's are kind of moving slow right now. Maybe when we get into warmer weather, people will start looking more.

I'm selling myself so I can buy an LT4. Wish I had the cash for yours!:D

The headlight bushings aren't that big of a deal. The bushings themselves are cheap and it only takes a few hours to swap out the old ones.

The clutch and flywheel won't be an issue if you don't take off slow!:D
 
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
2,509
Location
Tallahassee, FL
Corvette
none right now :(
Edmond said:
It seems like C4's are kind of moving slow right now. Maybe when we get into warmer weather, people will start looking more.

I'm selling myself so I can buy an LT4. Wish I had the cash for yours!:D

The headlight bushings aren't that big of a deal. The bushings themselves are cheap and it only takes a few hours to swap out the old ones.

The clutch and flywheel won't be an issue if you don't take off slow!:D

yep... I have done the bushings before on my last C4. it is just a matter of doing it. The car is sitting in the garage with the cover on it, waiting for me to find time to do some of the things it needs... I was hoping to just drop the price and sell to someone so they can pocket the savings and fix the things on their 'new' car; and fix it up the way they want it too
 

Edmond

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2001
Messages
5,218
Location
Louisiana
Corvette
2003 Z06
Don't worry, you'll sell her soon enough. You've got the Z51, Collectors Edition and LT4 going for you. Those are all good things to have!:D
 
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
2,509
Location
Tallahassee, FL
Corvette
none right now :(
Edmond said:
Don't worry, you'll sell her soon enough. You've got the Z51, Collectors Edition and LT4 going for you. Those are all good things to have!:D

yep... makes it a fun car to drive:) let me know if you sell yours... mine is waiting for you:D
 

Edmond

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2001
Messages
5,218
Location
Louisiana
Corvette
2003 Z06
Vettelt193 said:
yep... makes it a fun car to drive:) let me know if you sell yours... mine is waiting for you:D

I haven't had much interest, to be honest with you. I had a few calls but nothing serious. Had a younger girl that called me but it was pretty much a waste of time. The conversation went like this:

Girl: Is it a 350?
Me: Yes, it's a 350.
Girl: Is it an automatic?
Me: Yes, it's an automatic. Did you see it online? I can send you pictures.
Girl: Oh, it's online? I'll call you back with my sisters website so you can send the pictures there.

I'm thinking WTH? You don't know your e-mail address to send pictures to?

I should just post a "for sale" sign on the window! Weird thing is, my '83 Z28 is for sale but I don't have any sign or anything like that, no advertisement or anything at all and people ring the door bell and ask, "Is the Camaro for sale?":L

My father told me to put a sign up on the cars but I've been too lazy to get around to it.:L

I'll keep you posted on my situation. You really have what I want: LT4 and Z51. The CE is a bonus to me.

The front end wouldn't be much of a problem because I plan on putting a bra up there anyway.

If I sell before you, you'll be the first one that I call!
 
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
2,509
Location
Tallahassee, FL
Corvette
none right now :(
Edmond said:
I haven't had much interest, to be honest with you. I had a few calls but nothing serious. Had a younger girl that called me but it was pretty much a waste of time. The conversation went like this:

Girl: Is it a 350?
Me: Yes, it's a 350.
Girl: Is it an automatic?
Me: Yes, it's an automatic. Did you see it online? I can send you pictures.
Girl: Oh, it's online? I'll call you back with my sisters website so you can send the pictures there.

I'm thinking WTH? You don't know your e-mail address to send pictures to?

I should just post a "for sale" sign on the window! Weird thing is, my '83 Z28 is for sale but I don't have any sign or anything like that, no advertisement or anything at all and people ring the door bell and ask, "Is the Camaro for sale?":L

My father told me to put a sign up on the cars but I've been too lazy to get around to it.:L

I'll keep you posted on my situation. You really have what I want: LT4 and Z51. The CE is a bonus to me.

The front end wouldn't be much of a problem because I plan on putting a bra up there anyway.

If I sell before you, you'll be the first one that I call!

I can hear her calling your name!

If it doesn't sell, I will revert to my old plan... I was going to ride out this paint for a couple more years, then paint it up with a GS stripe... OR shoot it in yellow. I always wanted a yellow vette with torch red interior:)
 
V

volavet

Guest
I have the same car, minus the Z51 unfortnately and it is a diamond in the rough.......please dont paint over this one year paint code if you keep it.. sacralidge.

I think this is one of the honest posts I have ever seen, it is great you are letting people know what is wrong before they plunk down the cash. However, I think that the areas you addressed are very expensive to fix so that is what is hindering a sale. Can you take it to a trusted shop (non dealer) and have them give you est. to fix the clutch, etc. You may be better off having a few things fixed now and get the money back on the backend when you sell for a higher $$. That is what I did on my 92 and it worked out perfect. Also, you many want to drive up to Corvettes at Carlisle in PA and sell it. I sold 2 vettes there within the first 3 hours.
 
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
2,509
Location
Tallahassee, FL
Corvette
none right now :(
volavet said:
I have the same car, minus the Z51 unfortnately and it is a diamond in the rough.......please dont paint over this one year paint code if you keep it.. sacralidge.

I think this is one of the honest posts I have ever seen, it is great you are letting people know what is wrong before they plunk down the cash. However, I think that the areas you addressed are very expensive to fix so that is what is hindering a sale. Can you take it to a trusted shop (non dealer) and have them give you est. to fix the clutch, etc. You may be better off having a few things fixed now and get the money back on the backend when you sell for a higher $$. That is what I did on my 92 and it worked out perfect. Also, you many want to drive up to Corvettes at Carlisle in PA and sell it. I sold 2 vettes there within the first 3 hours.

I haven't taken the clutch back in because it is supposed to break in... and it seems to be. Drove it this weekend and it is doing much better, the roughness is fading fast. I also read a few more posts about how it should act with the lightweight clutch, and all seems normal.

Most of the stuff wrong with the car is more time than money; I was hoping to find someone that wants to work on their own car that wants a good deal. If I wind up fixing everything, I'll just keep it. I like the car, but would prefer an automatic convertible so the wife can drive it too.
 

Edmond

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2001
Messages
5,218
Location
Louisiana
Corvette
2003 Z06
Vettelt193 said:
would prefer an automatic convertible so the wife can drive it too.

No, that's why you want a 6 speed!:L:L:L
 

lone73

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2003
Messages
456
Location
Texas
Corvette
'73 4spd coupe, '04 6 speed coupe
Shudder at take off.

I have the Fidanza aluminum clutch in my CE. I've never had any shudder at take off from day one. Got about 27K on it. Now it DOES make some gear noise if I take off too slow, you have to rev it higher than with the orig dual mass F/W to keep that from happening. Is that what your referring too? I don't think that is an issue to be concerned with at all. That's a side effect that everyone deals with that converts to the aluminum F/W. It also has the "box of rocks" noises at idle.


If your talking about actual shudder when you let the clutch out. I'd say the shop either got some grease on the P/P or F/w or didn't change out the pilot bearing when they were in there, I've had that cause shudder once. Sounds like if it is real shudder then you're getting the "run-around" from the shop owner.

good luck with it
.
.
.
 
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
2,509
Location
Tallahassee, FL
Corvette
none right now :(
lone73 said:
I have the Fidanza aluminum clutch in my CE. I've never had any shudder at take off from day one. Got about 27K on it. Now it DOES make some gear noise if I take off too slow, you have to rev it higher than with the orig dual mass F/W to keep that from happening. Is that what your referring too? I don't think that is an issue to be concerned with at all. That's a side effect that everyone deals with that converts to the aluminum F/W. It also has the "box of rocks" noises at idle.


If your talking about actual shudder when you let the clutch out. I'd say the shop either got some grease on the P/P or F/w or didn't change out the pilot bearing when they were in there, I've had that cause shudder once. Sounds like if it is real shudder then you're getting the "run-around" from the shop owner.

good luck with it
.
.
.

it has a shudder when going slow, If you just let your foot off the clutch with no gas at all. It has gotten 1000x better though, and now barely does it. I was talking about the extra throttle needed to get going as well...

Either way, The LT4 runs fantastic. It really blows my LT1 away in all areas. The one thing that I enjoy about the LT4 is the torque. It makes it a blast to cruise in, as well as open up every once in a while.
 
E

EPiC Vette

Guest
Hmmmmm.....

Whaddya suppose, just off the top of your head (anyone!), it'd take to make a Florida car smog in California?

I happen to have an '89 AT car here in Cali that just passed smog, and is a pretty solid runner to boot. But it's not a 'vert.

LT4 sure would be nice, tho....

-Eric
 

Edmond

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2001
Messages
5,218
Location
Louisiana
Corvette
2003 Z06
I think that it will pass with no problem as long as the emissions equipment is still on there, which I believe it still is.
 
Joined
Dec 22, 2002
Messages
338
Location
Belmont, MI
Corvette
93 Ruby 40th Anniversary
I am interested in your car, but the distance is a problem. Do you have any pics you could e-mail to me? How many miles do you have on it now? Any other things worth mentioning that were not in your original description?

Are there any CAC members down there that could check it out for me?

Thanks- Rich

PS- If I could get your phone #, I would like to call you and talk.
 

JAGSFAN

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 29, 2004
Messages
290
Location
COLUMBUS OHIO
Corvette
2007 MONTEREY RED CONVERTIBLE
please call me about your car. I will probably buy it immediately.
 
Joined
Jun 20, 2002
Messages
2,509
Location
Tallahassee, FL
Corvette
none right now :(
JAGSFAN said:
please call me about your car. I will probably buy it immediately.

because Midshark replied first, I am giving him first shot... if he doesn't want it I'll give you a call.
 

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom