Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 Cost information help?

1996 LT4 Topic

nada

Looking for my first corvette, I was wanting a 97, but a cherry LT4 (non ce) with 39k on it has come up for sale in my area with the asking price of 16.5k. I have also found a 95 with 40k on it for 13k that also looks cherry. Being new to corvettes, my question, is the LT4 worth that much more then the standard LT1?

Thanks in advance

Oh.... My... God.... YES!!!

What he said! :)

:welcome nada. You will not be disappointed if you go with an LT4. The general consensus is that the LT4's were under rated by GM so that they would not overshadow the C5 LS1's. I can tell you from personal experience that the LT4 is an excellent motor.

I would try and talk the seller down from 16.5K though. That seems kind of high for a non-GS or CE car. Also, it is difficult to tell from the pics you posted, but is the '96 an auto or 6-speed? I ask because in '96 all LT4's came with a 6-speed tranny, and all LT1's were equipped with an automatic. Paint the intake red and slap a Grand Sport plaque on the throttle body and it can be difficult to tell if the car is an LT1 or LT4 unless you know what you are looking for. Another easy way to make sure the car has an LT4 is to check the VIN. If the 8th digit is a 5, the car was built with an LT4. If it is a P, it was built with an LT1.

As if that was not enough information overload, we have a neat table that shows the differences between the LT4 and LT1 in our Model Center.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

:w Jason

Looking for my first corvette..........
Thanks in advance

First, let me welcome you to the :CAC !!

If you're looking for your first Corvette, you've come to the right place!! :thumb

Here's a handy checklist you'll want to take a look at:
Buying a Corvette - Checklist this is a comprehensive list of things to look at when shopping for a Corvette. It can be printed and carried along when looking at a specific model.

Corvette Action Center Model Center this page contains links to individual pages regarding every model year and engines produced, including the chart Jason linked to in his post.

Good luck!
Keep us in the loop and post any questions you think of while you're looking.

:wJane Ann

LT4 - Is it worth more?

Nada's question:

Being new to corvettes, my question, is the LT4 worth that much more then the standard LT1?

Yes, absolutely. The '96 LT4 (non-CE/GS) came with the exceptional ZF transmission, the ZR1 brakes, and a number of nice features to compliment the more powerful engine. Being the last year for the C4, the LT4 was the epitome of development for the standard car (again, excluding the Grand Sport, the Collector Edition, and the ZR1) overall, and the Chev. smallblock at that time. Some of the engineering development of the '97 and later LS1 engine found it's way into the '96 LT4.

My LT4 has 32k and runs like a sewing machine. Your pictures look very good. I'd ask the seller for any service records that may be available and I would inquire about mods. The red/black interior is somewhat rare. My arctic white coupe only had about 700 units with the red/black interior in '96. One of the most knowledgeable owners on the forum, LT4Man will be along shortly with additional information for you. His CE runs beautifully with over 100k now.

Welcome to the forum.:)

8-23-2006-06.jpg

Welcome to CAC nada! I have only had my LT4 about a year now but I don't regret for a second paying a little more than what LT1's were going for. The ZF 6 speed is great too.

Thanks to boeingdriver too . . . my LT4 is arctic white with the red/black interior. I hadn't taken time to figure out the production on that combination!

He has all the records on the car, and he has owned it for 6 years, with the rear tires being replaced 6k ago, and the front ones 10k ago. Does this model have the trouble with the optispark that the early ones have when getting wet, or was that improved on the LT4 over the LT1?

Thanks everyone for the input, you are starting to make this an easy choice

Long Answer / Short Answer

Nada's Quote:

He has all the records on the car, and he has owned it for 6 years, with the rear tires being replaced 6k ago, and the front ones 10k ago. Does this model have the trouble with the optispark that the early ones have when getting wet, or was that improved on the LT4 over the LT1?

Long answer: Venting for the optispark was improved by '96 but you still can't get them wet. You detail this engine with 60/40 water & Simple Green using your hands and staying completely off the optispark. Did the service records show a replacement of the water pump? If so, the opti was probably replaced at the same time. Mine was. No other service issues? Buy it!

Short Answer: Buy it!:thumb

(ps: and consider driving it to FunFest Sept. 19-21 and joining the CACers in our group parking area. I want to see that car, it looks great!)

100_1033.jpg

Thanks everyone for the input, you are starting to make this an easy choice

....that undercarriage looks beautiful, particularly for 39k.

Buy it!

Being new to corvettes, my question, is the LT4 worth that much more then the standard LT1?

Yes, they’re worth it! Soon, our LT4s will be 13 years old, you will be surprised how quick the red intake manifold cars are for a mid-90’s sports car.

With the records and the apparent condition of the car, the price seems fair. I would still try to negotiate a little off if possible.

Here’s a nifty LT4 only touch (among others ;)). Remove the oil fill cap, peer into the opening and you will see stamped into the head, “LT4”.

B17Crew
:w

Thanks everyone, very close to a decision....are there any major differences in a LT4 motor option car, as opposed to A true Grand Sport, other then the paint and interior? seems someone mentioned the brakes and tranny are different, also I noticed there was an early recall on rocker arms

The only other difference is the larger wheels and tires of a Grand Sport, and brake calipers that are the same but say "Corvette" in raised lettering. There is no difference in the transmission.

OK, so the LT4 motor gives you the same tranny and brakes as the GS, but are these different then the ones on a LT1 powered car? sorry to be so stupid but this is my first, and the little things are somewhat hard to find with a search.

The transmission on the LT4 is the same ZF S6-40 that had been used on all manual-transmission Corvettes, including the ZR-1, dating to 1989. It's noisy, but you learn to love the noises it makes. The J55 brakes were a ZR-1 feature that was made standard on all Corvettes (to use up the inventory) in 1995-96.

The only other difference is the larger wheels and tires of a Grand Sport, and brake calipers that are the same but say "Corvette" in raised lettering.

Collector Edition & Grand Sport brake calipers ARE different than OEM issue ones for 96. The calipers have a different casting which is stronger than the OEM casting. Also a different series of ribbing on the exterior of the casting which helps dissipate heat from the caliper.

They are readily identified, as dmd said above, by the fact they are painted black with raised lettering in white which says: CORVETTE.

As far as the price differential betweent LT1 & LT4. I owned two (2) LT1s which I purchased new. 92 & 94. I also bought new my 96.

There is NO comparison between the LT1 & LT4. The LT4 will outrun a ZR-1 from 0-30 and not get passed until 100 mph. The LT4 will OUTRUN most LS1s. Ask me how I know! ;LOL

SAVE the gosh darn :w

a cherry LT4 (non ce) with 39k on it has come up for sale in my area with the asking price of 16.5k.

NADA says High Retail is $18,775.00. That takes into account the low mileage, the type of engine and the overall condition.

I would say you are getting a deal at 16.5K. :upthumbs

SAVE THE :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom