Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 Fuel Filter Clogged

1996 LT4 Topic
O

okie

Just a quick question. About three weeks ago while going through the gears at about 4K RPM the LT4 felt like it hit a rev limiter. Scared okie, thought I broke something in the engine! I had the fuel filter changed out and wow what a difference! It runs better than ever. Here, however, is the question. The mechanic showed me the old filter and it was badly clogged with a brown substance, almost like very fine sand. Is this an indication of a bad tank (as the mechanic suggested) or is it just a result of the car setting too long with the same tank of gas? Could be both I suppose. Have any of the rest of you guys had or heard of such a problem? I still have yet to put 1000K on the car since I got it in October, so I am still learning it's behavoir patterns. Although it is still for sale I am still struggling to keep it if I can. Thanks,,

okie

it could be nothing more than a bad tank of gas... if the problem persists, you have something to worry about... if not, then it was just a one time thing

Clogged Filter

Thanks, guess if I can find the time to drive a couple more tanks through it I will know a bit more. I do know I don't want to have the tank replaced. Big bucks I hear....

Purge the tank? .......Possible. Replace the tank? Unlikely.
Of course there may be more to your story than what I 've seen so far? Good Luck. Oh btw, where have you been purchasing your fuel??
jd

Lt4 GS

I have only put three tanks in it and still have more than half of the last one. I never let it get below half a tank anyway, but I think I got all the gas at the BP in Colonial Beach. I would bet almost all the fuel around here comes from the same source anyway. I have not had any problems with my commuter car and I go through a ton of gas in it. I am a bit worried that what ever it was it was in the tank when I got it..

you got me thinking now.... My car sat for about a year before I bought it, and I never changed the fuel filter.... What tends to happen is condensation builds, then you get a problem with algea and other stuff growing in the tank... this stuff gets caught in the fuel filter... the biggest problem is our cars don't have a fuel filter that is really intended to filter out a ton of stuff, so they can get clogged easier... the boating industry has much better filters, I wish our cars had something similar...

but for now, I think you just created a job for me this weekend. At least it isn't too difficult:eyerole

It's not so much the source of the fuel as it is the station. By that I mean each station's tanks and equipment are different. Age, installed by, composition (older tanks), etc. I am guessing that the car picked up sediment from a station. Sediment and water is easily aquired when pumping fuel into your vehicle at the time a station is being serviced by a tanker or has just been recently serviced. I think you could adapt a MerCruiser filter to the car.
Bad sentence composition, I know.........but you get the point, I hope......lol:eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole :eyerole

Okie, I just started having the same problem with my LT4. I've had it 3 months and 5 or 6 tank fills from the same station I fill my other cars from. When I get up above 3000 rmp, it tends to lag a little. I did run out of gas right after bought it, so the first thing I want to do is replace my filter. Can someone save me a little floor time a let me know where it is, how hard it is to replace. Etc. Hate to pay someone for something I can do.

More Filter Comments

I am usually pretty careful about fuel and will not fill any of my cars if a tanker is pumping into the storage tanks. My old friend from Okla who runs his own garage (the real "Mr. Goodwrench") says it sould clear up with at most another filter change, but still I would hate to get stuck on the side of the road somewhere.

mac96 said:
Okie, I just started having the same problem with my LT4. I've had it 3 months and 5 or 6 tank fills from the same station I fill my other cars from. When I get up above 3000 rmp, it tends to lag a little. I did run out of gas right after bought it, so the first thing I want to do is replace my filter. Can someone save me a little floor time a let me know where it is, how hard it is to replace. Etc. Hate to pay someone for something I can do.

it isn't that hard at all (assuming they haven't changed it from my '93 LT1, I haven't changed the LT4's yet) If you look on the passeneger side underneath the door, you will be able to see the fuel lines running front to rear. All you have to do is follow them towards the engine... they will start to rise up into the engine compartment before the front wheel well... there you should se an in-line filter (looks like a metal can)

When you unscrew it, gas will leak out, so be careful! When you put the new one on, it is best to turn the key on and off a few times to get the fuel pressure built up (listen for the fuel pump to run, because if you cycle the key too quickly it won't turn on every time) then, fire up the car and let it idle for a few minutes to let it work out the air in the system.... it really shouldn't take more than 30 minutes or so, but taking your time, for the first time, figure an hour

ok........you should change the filter every couple of years....and
the fuel filter is located behind the RIGHT FRONT wheel

okie.......dokie.......I'm gonna go change mine too..........I'll mention here that the marine idea is not bad and along that line I use regularly MDR's fuel stabilizer and Water Zorb......keeps the tank and fuel parts in tip top condition.........I got in the habit while treating the 2 454's in my water toy........and I never stopped........it's available at boat us ...and most big marine houses .....West Bank.....etc.......a whole lot cheaper than dry gas and stabil.....1 can of MDR treats like 180 gallions (gallons).:drink :drink :drink :drink :drink :drink

Clogged Filter

Great Idea Lt4 gs! Since I live in a "boating community" I should be able to find that stuff just down the street.

My understanding from an engineer---the brown-sandy-coral like substances comes from the fuel used --especially the substace used during winter months--for clean air--will cause build up--it's recommended to use a quality fuel injector cleaner and replace every few years.
Next fuel filter change--cut open the filter--suprise---the oil producers will disagree about fuel causing the problem--just like Dexcool or Prestone for radiators--That's the question--Who can you trust---we have $$$$$$$$$$$$ machines here.
John:Silly

the brown-sandy-coral like substances.............it's called sediment

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom