Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Mabolzich

Mabolzich

Corvette
1998 Pewder Coupe-1986 Red Coupe
Guys,
I have a 1998 C5 coupe. It has the habit of trashing serpentine belts, the alternator, water pump, etc., every 10,000 miles or so. I'm using Gatorback belts and they work great, no squeaks, but they fail. I was wondering if this is a reoccurring problem or is there something wrong with my pulley system. I've also had this problem with my 1986 Vette. I carry, in each car, a replacement belt and a 15mm wrench. The tensioner and the idler pulleys are 3 years old and seem to feel smooth and noise free. I changed it in the dark, in the inner city last night and I'd like to figure out what's going on. If it does happens, it happens when I hammer it. Jest lookin' for a little experienced help. Thanks, Dan

I've had both a 98 Coupe and a 04 Coupe and didn't ever have problems with the belt. Sounds like you've got some kind of a problem with the pulley alignment. Good luck with the problem.

Guys,
I have a 1998 C5 coupe. It has the habit of trashing serpentine belts, the alternator, water pump, etc., every 10,000 miles or so. I'm using Gatorback belts and they work great, no squeaks, but they fail. I was wondering if this is a reoccurring problem or is there something wrong with my pulley system. I've also had this problem with my 1986 Vette. I carry, in each car, a replacement belt and a 15mm wrench. The tensioner and the idler pulleys are 3 years old and seem to feel smooth and noise free. I changed it in the dark, in the inner city last night and I'd like to figure out what's going on. If it does happens, it happens when I hammer it. Jest lookin' for a little experienced help. Thanks, Dan

Probably an idler or tensioner pulley problem.

Any issue with the A/C belt?

First, I agree to check alignment. Look close also at the damper and see if you notice any "wobble".

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom