Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mallory Unilite tach drive Distributor on 74

Carrida

Corvette
1974 white ragtop
Has anyone installed a Mallory Unilite tach drive distributor on a 74 vette?If so what did you think of it and how was the install?

I have one on a 71 small block . And it has also been uo to 8500rpm a few times, so I have no complaint about it. and was easy to put in. But you do lose your tach. I put a SW Tach in the place of the stock one, and it goes up to 10,000rpm.

Carrida said:
Has anyone installed a Mallory Unilite tach drive distributor on a 74 vette?If so what did you think of it and how was the install?
I have no experience with Unilite (LED) except in race cars ... they're ok.

Vacuum advance is desireable (if not necessary) for most carburated street cars. I'm not so sure Unilite (LED) is available with BOTH tach drive AND vacuum advance. If not available as a production item ... you can retrofit the available Mallory tach drive & vac advance dual point dist with their Unilite (LED) pickup/module.

Another option is to use the OE-type HEI dist as found in 75 up vette & others ... it's a great dist ... plenty of spark ... very reliable. With HEI, retrofit an OE electronic tach from 75 thru 77 vette ... it'll bolt right in where your mechanical is ... looks factory ... matches other gages ... functions perfect w/ HEI dist. HEI dist is cheap to buy & maintain ... HEI dist & parts available most anywhere. Many vette suppliers offer the 75-77 vette tach ... also eBay (where I got a good used one for $50).

FYI: A bone stock HEI is good for about 5000-5500 rpm ... can easily be upgraded with hotter ignition module to yield 9000+ rpm.
JACK:gap

I have one in my 70.Its been very reliable(knock on wood)but I can't seem to get enough advance out of it,even though I have it all the way opened up.My future plans are to replace it with a tach drive MSD with vacuum advance and the 6 box.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom