Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Master cylinder failed

Robertwav1

Corvette
1993 Blue
One of the scariest things, brake peddle goes to the floor, pumping brakes nothing happens, emergency brake came in handy. Thank the dear lord I didn't have stop fast. This is the second time in my life time this has happened to me. Cylinder just quit. I guess we should always be prepared for this even though it doesn't happen often. No warning, no indication of cylinder going bad. Replacement was easy enough following manual. A few trips with the car to get my confidence back. I feel a little more confident on my bike as the brakes are independent of each other. Be safe out there guys as these cars are getting older and failures are imminent.

Usually they give you a warning with a soft pedal that sinks. Flat out failure is not the norm. Glad your ok.

You didn't just bleed/flush the brakes by pumping the brake pedal recently did you?

No, actually I never touched the system. When removed the old cylinder and took it apart it's no wonder it failed, dirty and a lot of sludge. I guess it's the nature of the fluid to just go bad after so many years even though the system was never opened. I did all the other fluids in the car, trans, coolant etc but never messed with the brake fluid. I guess a 25 year old car u have to pay attention to everything. Live and learn.

On my 89 (which had not been on the road for 10 years or more before I got it this year) I replaced the brake hoses on all four corners and the fluid only to find the brake booster and master cylinder were bad.

Brake fluid is not expensive I advocate putting it on a maintenance schedule. For my race car I don't like more than 2 years on the fluid. Street cars I go much longer I suppose I should check the recommendations of the fluid manufacturers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom