Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Master Cylinder Questions

J

Jughead

My 93 started seeping brake fluid when the master cylinder flanges to the power booster. Old experience would lead me to think the master cylinder (o-ring?) is about to go completely. Although my mechanical experience goes back 30 years I'm not familiar with this type of master cylinder at all. Since I'm not in any particular hurry, I thought I would research this before I ran out and bought a new one. My questions are;
1. Is this unit rebuildable, if so is it worth the effort and where can a kit be found? I've rebuilt plenty in the past but like I said above, I'm not the least bit familiar with this animal.
2. Any experince with bought rebuilds? I would welcome any recommendations about good rebuild distributors. Pricing experiences or guesstimates.
3. Recommendations for where to find OEM parts at a reasonable price. (online links, addresses, etc.)
Any help or advice, warnings or tricks for rebuilding and installation would be welcomed and appreciated.

My 93 started seeping brake fluid when the master cylinder flanges to the power booster. Old experience would lead me to think the master cylinder (o-ring?) is about to go completely. Although my mechanical experience goes back 30 years I'm not familiar with this type of master cylinder at all. Since I'm not in any particular hurry, I thought I would research this before I ran out and bought a new one. My questions are;
1. Is this unit rebuildable, if so is it worth the effort and where can a kit be found? I've rebuilt plenty in the past but like I said above, I'm not the least bit familiar with this animal.
2. Any experince with bought rebuilds? I would welcome any recommendations about good rebuild distributors. Pricing experiences or guesstimates.
3. Recommendations for where to find OEM parts at a reasonable price. (online links, addresses, etc.)
Any help or advice, warnings or tricks for rebuilding and installation would be welcomed and appreciated.

Master cylinders haven't changed much from when you serviced them. If it's leaking at the Brake booster, you definately need a new one. I haven't heard of anyone successfully rebuilding one of these units. The rebuilt one's at the autoparts stores (IMHO) don't seem to hold up. I would purchase a new GM unit (yes they are expensive compared to the autoparts store). I have purchased parts form gmpartsdirect.com and Superior Chevy. If you tell Chris at Superior you are a member of CAC he will cut you a discount. The parts stores come with a lifetime warranty which is all well and good, but you still have to replace it (labor) everytime it fails. In my opinion just spend the money on OEM and drive happy. Email me if you need the contact info for Superior....I saved about $100 on a GM starter using these guys.

Someone here on the forum told me about a rebuild kit for the master cylinders but I never looked into it; I just bought a new one instead for about $160.00.

If you don't feel like spending that much, check out www.vette2vette.com He's a good guy to deal with and is straight up honest with you.

Well since I originally posted on Sunday night I took a leap and bought a NEW PBR unit on e-bay. I spent several hours researching, a few phone calls and could find nothing bad about PBR brake components. It arrived today and looks great ....so we'll see. About installation....any ideas what the tube that comes out of the driver's side of the reservoir is called or what it does? The rest of the fittings and connections look pretty straight forward but this driver's side tube has me stumped. It sure looks like that removal would put air in a line going somewhere. Any ideas? Thanks for the other info...I still might need it and any contacts for future reference is greatly appreciated.

Jughead.

Jughead,

IIRC, that tube is for some kind of air pressure or something like that. Installation of the thing can be a pain because you have to access two bolts underneath the dash. It's an awkward position to be in and some members even went as far as taking the drivers seat off. I didn't take the drivers seat off; I just laid upside down on the drivers seat and couldn't work for long before the blood rushed to the brain and I had to stop.

The two nuts are a bear to get to. You're going to need some extensions and universals to get in there.

It took me almost 4 hours to change both the booster and the master cylinder about 1 1/2 years ago.

just did this too

got a rebuilt master cyl from craquest for $125.easy to get off/on. filled it wit brake fluid and bled it in my kitchen. its a no-brainer job.

Hey Fellas...Thanks for the input. Received my NEW master cylinder and had a good local shop install it yesterday. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Installed the cylinder and flushed and bled the sysytem. They did it all while I was at work....no bother and hassle for me. I want to thank all of you for the help and I will keep you posted on the PBR unit. Keep waving !

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom