Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Maximum tire width on rim

400hp_76

Corvette
Black 1976 STINGRAY cpe, T-tops
What is the max tire size i can get on my 17X8 inch centerline rims. As of now i have p255 45R17s. Cords are showing so its about time for some new rubber. I was thinkin that maybe a 275 or 265 mayfit. input?

Ahhhh, nothing like horsepower robbing friction with an oversized tire. Think about it. If you spin the tires with a narrow tire or a fat tire, you're still spinning the rubber off. You do not need that much contact to have control of a car. Again, look at a 10 speed bicycle tire....now that is a thin, fricton frugal racing ride. Just my 2 cents of contact patch talking here.

well thats the whole idea of a wide tyre.increased friction area..do some more reading:eyerole

Having wider tires doesn't give you bigger balls keeping the gas on......believe me, it takes more than tires to keep you on the road. This is a racer's point of view.......been there done that...don't need a book to figure that out.
Buddy Baker held the top speed at Talladega for years before they went to wider tires. Don't let me start in with Fangio's 5 championships and those tires he used. It's all relative.

Just guessin' here, but I'd bet he's going for traction at take off only. Probably not looking to increase handling :) And more area means more static and dynamic friction to overcome (i.e. more stickum).

Russ

Well thanks, but my gosh....I do know one thing. A wider tire with a good contact area , good tread wear, and good pressure is sure as heck gonna help me off the line. All i ask was what was the widest tire i could put on the rim, dont over do the question-no offense-. 77-4 speed kinda got the picture

I hear ya! :) I wish I could tell you the answer. I'm sure by this evening someone will chime in with an answer (69myway). Whatever you decide to get, definitely check out tirerack.com. They have some awesome prices.

Russ

400hp, I'm just trying to make you think about a fallacy of the, "bigger is better" mentality. Again, think of those huge slicks on those 300mph+ dragsters. The tire patch narrows when the centrifugal spin sets in. Or, how small the contact patch is all that's needed to steer those missiles down the track with those tiny motorcycle tires. It's not the tire contact....it's clutch feed. But hey, what do I know? No offense taken.

I loved the response i got from tirerack.com.....my question was the same.. what is the widest tire i can put on a 17X8 inch rim. The replied back with. "you did not suply us with enough information. we need to know what type of vehicle and a lot of other bullcrap" Its simple "chiefton" i gave you the rim size you tell me the tire...wam bam its that simple.. some of these tech guys sometimes try to over complicate the problem. and cntrhub... Bigger is better, always. haha.. If i had a clutch to ease out on. that would be great, but i do believe with an auto if you can get the car to connect just torque it up and nail the throttle. i know what ill do.. put some MT street slicks on the ole 15 inch rims.

Regular size tire, torqued up and nail it >>> :bu
Bigger is Better tire, torqued up an nailing it >> :bu

HP, did I tell you i was a little on the "obnoxious" side?

Tirerack needs to know the car I imagine for wheel well clearance. You may want to see a WIDE tire as a result but don't forget about sidewall height. (Lowrider-Monster Truck)

Just Email em then them what you got and what your trying to do. If they are wanting to sell any tires they'll get back to ya ASAP.

Thanks for the thread on tire size. they are saying that with a 15X8 you can fit 275 60s on. The only question i have now is whether or not the larger diameter is gonna come into play. I might not be able to get the profile ex. 50 or 60 profile. because of the sidewall overhang. I guess ill just have to ask the guys at the tire place. thanks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom