Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Medium or well done ..Rotisserie for a '61

Stan's Customs

Corvette
Project 1961....
Curious to know what the forum thinks about the need for a rotisserie when doing a rebuild on a C1. Are they worth the time and expense for a frame off...or?

If it really is a needed item...which I imagine it is. Does any one have any simple plans to build a decent one...or better yet have one for sale close to Texas.

Thanks Stan M.

Having done a C2 body off, I'd never do another without a rotisseire.

John Mcgraw and IH2Lose will likely have more to add to this story.

:w

Stan,

I would never restore a car without one again. I am just getting to old to lay on my back with crap raining down in my face. I built one in my shop over a weekend for around $300, and it has paid for itself many times over. I just recently modified it to accept the 65 convertible that I am now working on.
With the high prices on steel lately, I would guess that It would cost at least $450 in todays steel market. Drop me an Email and I will send you some pics and drawings of what I fabricated. Here is a link to an album folder of mine that has some pics of the rotissere.
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=780503

Regards, John McGraw

So from a fellow whos done alot of cars,And keep saying I will purchase one the next car I do, I will never do another car again with out one.The body shop loved it for the work they had to do,I loved it for the work I had to do,The one I have was loaned to me.But I was just about to order one and his fell into my hands.

With a corvette you will still need to make a body dolly to support the body while on the rotisery.I am in the garage working I will up load some photos of mine and post a link to it,My body dolly is Johns M design,He sent me a print and I purchased square tubing and welded it up, When I purchase a rotisery I will purchase one with the built in jacks to make it easeyer to load. Allthough its quite an investment if your doing another car in your future dont do with out one

I built one because the car I was working on had gobs of undercoating on the bottom. I wouldn't try working on the under side of a car without it now. I even painted the body while it was mounted on the rotisserie. I did "cheat" and use some cheap engine stands for the end posts.
http://www.carols62.com/04160204.jpg

Thank you gentlemen...Looking forward to the information.

If I'm gona' do this thing I may as well settle in for the long term....Besides that I'm with John...I'm gettin too old to be laying on a creeper and get crap in my face. Getting up off that thing is not as easy as it used to be either....Hurrmphh

...and these darn tri-focals don't work at all on your back......Ha!

Stan

Stan's Customs said:
Thank you gentlemen...Looking forward to the information.

If I'm gona' do this thing I may as well settle in for the long term....Besides that I'm with John...I'm gettin too old to be laying on a creeper and get crap in my face. Getting up off that thing is not as easy as it used to be either....Hurrmphh

...and these darn tri-focals don't work at all on your back......Ha!

Stan

Stan,

I was speaking with Shafi Keisler last week and he happened to mention that he had a WhirlyJig rotisserie for sale. If you are interested he can be reached at Keisler Engineering 865-609-8187.

Rich Lagasse

Thanks to all for the pics and information. Special thanks to John McGraw who was kind enough to send me some dimensions of his rotisserie, which I will probably build....unless the lead Rich gave me works out.

Thanks Rich...I will call Mr Keisler about his rotisserie Monday, It really depends where he is located... ( I'm in Texas).....
By the way thumbs up on your appearance on the Carlisle coverage...bet you had a blast there....

Stan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom