Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

mice

K

kodiak7251

I got into my 40th anniversery ruby this spring and despite my precautions mice had moved in- they didnt chew thru anything - but the smell is unbearable. how do i fix this ? please help

In all these situations the only to get rid of odors is to eliminate the source. What you smell is what is there - simple. You cannot just mask the odor by a quick spray.
You must clean/clean. A wet vac and a hand sprayer may help - it will simulate a carpet shampoo machine. Or a shampoo machine. Use a disinfectant like Lysol etc. mixed with warm water. Find a smell you can live with, but it will dissipate quickly. Dont use too much, then you will have soap issues.
Spray and vacuum dry - repeat.
Also look for those little hidden areas - you will see the clues. Once completely cleaned it must be fully aired to dry out and totally outgas. Hopefully you will have some warm weather. Do not do this on a rainy/ cloudy day. It must dry quickly.
Next some mouse traps - many.

thanks

Im afraid i have a dead mouse in the heater. I guess I will have to take it to my dealer and have him take it apart.

I have sprayed and bloted the smell. but not vacuumed. I will try that next.

I thought someout would have a mgic "potion " that might remove the smell quickly

In all these situations the only to get rid of odors is to eliminate the source. What you smell is what is there - simple. You cannot just mask the odor by a quick spray.
You must clean/clean. A wet vac and a hand sprayer may help - it will simulate a carpet shampoo machine. Or a shampoo machine. Use a disinfectant like Lysol etc. mixed with warm water. Find a smell you can live with, but it will dissipate quickly. Dont use too much, then you will have soap issues.
Spray and vacuum dry - repeat.
Also look for those little hidden areas - you will see the clues. Once completely cleaned it must be fully aired to dry out and totally outgas. Hopefully you will have some warm weather. Do not do this on a rainy/ cloudy day. It must dry quickly.
Next some mouse traps - many.

You might want to pull the seats and that way you can shampoo all the carpet and use a powerful wet/dry shopvac to pull all the water mix out of the carpet. Leave the windows down for a few weeks. Good luck !

thanks

Im afraid i have a dead mouse in the heater. I guess I will have to take it to my dealer and have him take it apart.

I have sprayed and bloted the smell. but not vacuumed. I will try that next.

I thought someout would have a mgic "potion " that might remove the smell quickly

Sorry k --- This is worse than I thought. Once the rodent is removed you have to flush the (outer) coils with Lysol etc to remove the remains and smell. I think the chamber is accessible from the cowl with a garden hose. Also make sure the rubber drain piece is cleared otherwise you may have a back up. How did he get in in the first place??

i dont know how it got in - it sits in my garage
right next to my cars that I drive every day. the year before i surrounded the car with moth balls. this year I didnt thats probably the difference. I had an electronic device within 10 feet of the car, and i threw bounce sheets on the floor of the garage under the car. Next year the mothballs will be back and i will put the electronic device in the car. I am going to try a commercial product. If that doesnt work, I may just take it to the dealer and see if he can find the dead critter. I dont want to mess anything up trying to take it appart myself. I did remove the piece under the glove compartment, and the rubber material on this was wet - so I removed it. and cleaned this area. I have also let it sit outside allday with the windows open. this is helping somewhat.

you may have to correct me on the spelling but this will take away your smell once and for all ozium.it was developed for the smell of all the dead bodies during ww2.you can find it at wallmart.it even takes the smell out of the airconditioner when your drunk buddies hurl in the vents on the way home from a party :D

you may have to correct me on the spelling but this will take away your smell once and for all ozium.it was developed for the smell of all the dead bodies during ww2.you can find it at wallmart.it even takes the smell out of the airconditioner when your drunk buddies hurl in the vents on the way home from a party :D

I don't really wanna ask just how you came to know that last little fact...:chuckle

Will it remove the odors of cigarettes or cheap air freshener. I think a service guy smoked in my SL55 a while back and then tried to cover it up with some kind of air freshener.
Have had the top down and windows open, charcoal and baking soda in bags and dishes but it still lingers.
Any suggestions? :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom