Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

B

BLUEDUCE

Does anyone have these Michelin's on their Z06? Just got a set yesterday to replace the Goodyear's that had 22,00 miles on them.

Thanks,

Donna

Corvette
2001 MilleniumYellow Rag Top
Does anyone have these Michelin's on their Z06? Just got a set yesterday to replace the Goodyear's that had 22,00 miles on them.

Thanks,

Donna

Hi Donna,:w I just got a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, in a 19 and 20 inch wheel, and you talk about making a car purr. They are great, I don't think there is a better tire made. Scott:beer

bwing

Corvette
03 Z06,66 coupe(sold),99 Porsche Carrera(sold)

Thanks,

Donna

Hi Donna,

I put OEM sized PS2's on my Z06 and they surely handle better than the Good Year's and they're a lot quieter. I recently purchased aftermarket wheels, 18" and 19", so I had to buy another set of PS2's for them. I now have a practically new, less than 800 miles on them, set of PS2's on stock Z06 wheels in my garage taking up space. :D I also installed the trunk/pass compartment divider and that makes the ride quieter, less road noise from the trunk.

Hib Halverson

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
Corvette
71 04 12 19
Hi Donna,

I put OEM sized PS2's on my Z06 and they surely handle better than the Good Year's
(snip)

How did you determine that your Z with the Pilot Sport 2s handles better than it did with the Goodyears?

bwing

Corvette
(snip)

How did you determine that your Z with the Pilot Sport 2s handles better than it did with the Goodyears?

Well Hib, just from regular driving I noticed that the tires seem to grab the roadway a little harder during spirited turns and braking. One turn on an auto-x course that I had run before turned in a better time also with less tire "slippage". I understand that most hardcore Corvette owners are encouraged more to stay with the stock Good Year Eagle F1 Supercar tires, thus keeping their cars pure stock. I, on the other hand, opt for change when the change is in a positive direction. I didn't know beforehand that the Michelin's would perform better than the OEM Good Year's but after having them, to me, they out perform the Good Year's and are the better tire for my car. All of my other cars have Good Year's on them.

Hib Halverson

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
Corvette
71 04 12 19
Well Hib, just from regular driving I noticed that the tires seem to grab the roadway a little harder during spirited turns and braking. One turn on an auto-x course that I had run before turned in a better time also with less tire "slippage".
(snip)

Ok. I misunderstood your first post. I thought maybe you had some test data to support what you were saying about F1 SC vs SP2 Actually, even if you did have data, comparing a new set of Pilot Sport 2s to a 22,000-mile, 4-year old set of tires you replaced (be they Goodyears or any other brand) is nonesense and provides no credible data, subjective or objective.

Now, if you did a legitimate test and compared new PS2s to new F1 Supercars, given the same car, with the same alignment, the same pressures and the same test course, the Supercar would be better in dry traction and steering response. On a road course the advantage would be significant if the two tires were at full tread depth. If the PS2s were shaved a bit, the GY's advantage might not be as large.

On a wet track the PS2 would be a better choice, because it's an "all-round ultra-performance" tire whereas the F1 Supercar is decidedly a dry traction tire.

On the street, as the PS2 is a "full tread-depth" tire and the Supercars for Z06es are a reduced tread depth tire, the PS2s might last longer, but...that would depend on how you drive.

On my 04 Z06, I prefer the car's cutting-edge handing in the dry so it will be a cold day in hell before I take the F1 Supecars off. Now, when one of the major tire companies comes up with a tire which can truely exceed the performance of the Supercar in the dry yet also offer the treadlife they do, then I'll consider a switch.

Interestingly, the Supercars in the C5Z sizes are a pretty unique product which bridges the gap between radial race tires (ie: tires with soft racing compounds and very minimal tread grooves) which have low tread life, and "all-round" ultra performance tires, such as the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 and the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, which have deeper tread grooves and better wet traction.

Lastly, the F1 Supecar has been available since 2001, which is a pretty long lifecycle for a product like that. It will be interesting to see, now that Goodyear introduced an all-season, ultra-performance tire (the new F1 All-Season available in C5 base sizes this fall), whether the GY people replace the F1 Supecar with a new product which maintains the market position of the Supercar's dry-traction biasing but adds some of the new features GY has been introducing into premium replacement tires, such as Kevlar tread belts and carbon-fiber inserts in the sidewalls.

If Goodyear ever introduces an "F1 Supercar II" which is non-EMT and has the low tread-depth of the previous design along with Kevlar in the tread and CF in the sidewalls, I'll be waiting at the Goodyear store with my Z06 and my checkbook.

bwing

Corvette
(snip)

Ok. I misunderstood your first post. I thought maybe you had some test data to support what you were saying about F1 SC vs SP2 Actually, even if you did have data, comparing a new set of Pilot Sport 2s to a 22,000-mile, 4-year old set of tires you replaced (be they Goodyears or any other brand) is nonesense and provides no credible data, subjective or objective.

Now, if you did a legitimate test and compared new PS2s to new F1 Supercars, given the same car, with the same alignment, the same pressures and the same test course, the Supercar would be better in dry traction and steering response. On a road course the advantage would be significant if the two tires were at full tread depth. If the PS2s were shaved a bit, the GY's advantage might not be as large.

On a wet track the PS2 would be a better choice, because it's an "all-round ultra-performance" tire whereas the F1 Supercar is decidedly a dry traction tire.

On the street, as the PS2 is a "full tread-depth" tire and the Supercars for Z06es are a reduced tread depth tire, the PS2s might last longer, but...that would depend on how you drive.

On my 04 Z06, I prefer the car's cutting-edge handing in the dry so it will be a cold day in hell before I take the F1 Supecars off. Now, when one of the major tire companies comes up with a tire which can truely exceed the performance of the Supercar in the dry yet also offer the treadlife they do, then I'll consider a switch.

Interestingly, the Supercars in the C5Z sizes are a pretty unique product which bridges the gap between radial race tires (ie: tires with soft racing compounds and very minimal tread grooves) which have low tread life, and "all-round" ultra performance tires, such as the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 and the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, which have deeper tread grooves and better wet traction.

Lastly, the F1 Supecar has been available since 2001, which is a pretty long lifecycle for a product like that. It will be interesting to see, now that Goodyear introduced an all-season, ultra-performance tire (the new F1 All-Season available in C5 base sizes this fall), whether the GY people replace the F1 Supecar with a new product which maintains the market position of the Supercar's dry-traction biasing but adds some of the new features GY has been introducing into premium replacement tires, such as Kevlar tread belts and carbon-fiber inserts in the sidewalls.

If Goodyear ever introduces an "F1 Supercar II" which is non-EMT and has the low tread-depth of the previous design along with Kevlar in the tread and CF in the sidewalls, I'll be waiting at the Goodyear store with my Z06 and my checkbook.

I totally agree with you Hib that the Supercars are better in dry conditions vs. the PS2's. I also agree with you when you said if the PS2's were shaved that the advantage would be cut. I like the ride of the PS2's as the Supercars ride was always harsh. It's a good "all-around" tire for me.

If Good Year ever comes out with the "F1 Supercar II" that didn't ride as harsh as the current style I'd probably be in line waiting to purchase a set behind you but for now, my preference is towards the PS2's over the Supercars.

B

Bradleywrench13

I completely agree with Hib, I had used up wore out practically bald Supercars on my 03 when I bought it, I was able to take a cloverleaf freeway entrance near my house at 70 MPH with out activating the Active Handling. The dealer ordered and installed(at their own expense) PS2's, I immediately noticed that I could only take the same cloverleaf at 60-65, this isn't just 1 trip around it I have to go this way everyday at 4:30 am, so there are no cars on the road. It sure is fun. However, I wore those PS2's completely out in no time and such my Z is my daily driver, I put some all season Generals on it. They are C5 and not Z06 sized but they are alot quieter and they have better grip in the rain and light snow. Also they are only good for 58-60 on the cloverleaf before the AH butt police kick in. God Bless

Remo

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Convertible
BF Goodrich gForce KDW-2's

Anyone tried these? Lot's of C5 guys are
starting to migrate to them. Performance,
price, size availability, etc. I've got 6,000
on mine and no complaints.
Remo:cool

bfg_gforce_ta_kdw2_ci2_l.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom