Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mid Year Casting and date codes vs build date

JeffW

Corvette
Hi All,
New to the forum. So here is my initation question. The NCRS judging manual states that casting and or date coding up to 6 months previous to the car build date are acceptable. Actually in the new mid year judging manual I cannot find it at all but previous revisions stated 6 months. My question is, What is the norm? My 64 was built in June so for any component what would be a good target for casting and component date codes assuming no instances of that old part at the back of the shelf being used during production. My stable items such as radiator and expansion tank are May, but for other items that may have been replaced with no attention to date what would be a good target. 6 months to me seems a bit wide.
Thanks, Jeff

Hi All,
New to the forum. So here is my initation question. The NCRS judging manual states that casting and or date coding up to 6 months previous to the car build date are acceptable. Actually in the new mid year judging manual I cannot find it at all but previous revisions stated 6 months. My question is, What is the norm? My 64 was built in June so for any component what would be a good target for casting and component date codes assuming no instances of that old part at the back of the shelf being used during production. My stable items such as radiator and expansion tank are May, but for other items that may have been replaced with no attention to date what would be a good target. 6 months to me seems a bit wide.
Thanks, Jeff

The NCRS Judging Manual has six months as an acceptable window, but that is not common. Most parts were much closer, more like two or three weeks and many less than one week.

As an example, on your car, I would expect to see engine block casting dates no earlier than May, with a build date a few days later. The intake casting date will normally fall close to the block date. Valve covers are not removed so head casting dates are not judged.

I suggest you look for parts that fall within the two or three weeks before the build date and only deviate from that as a last resort.

Verle

Thanks Verle. That being said then what should the aprox date gap be between the engine build and the car assembly date? A few days seems logical.
Thanks, Jeff

Thanks Verle. That being said then what should the aprox date gap be between the engine build and the car assembly date? A few days seems logical.
Thanks, Jeff

Jeff,

It is about the same thing, a few days to a "few" weeks. Less than two weeks is common.

Verle

Hi All,
Thanks, Jeff
Hi I am new. I tried searching how to decode the vin. Where can I find a how to on that?
Thank you
Rong.

what year vette do you have? you can use GOOGLE IS MY FRIEND and type say 1955 Corvette birthday and C1 Registry should pop-up with the ability to input your VIN

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom