Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mini-tub question

A

atiroc1

Has anyone mini tubbed their c2-3 here? I am in the process of building my 68 vert. It will have close to 800 hp and I want to pull the frame rails in, shorten the 1/2 shafts to be able to use a 13 inch rim without flaring the quarters. Does anyone have any experience doing this.

Not I, but I'm looking forward to seeing the responses you get. You sound like my kind of gearhead! :bu

I don't think you are going to find anyone who tried it. It is much easier to be successful using a narrowed solid axle hung from a 4 link and pan hard bar and coil over shocks. The solid axle can be built stronger and will track the 1/4 mile better. Don't plan on road race competition with it, though. I haven't done this modification but think I understand the theory why the narrowed solid rear is used. Also interested in other comments.

I do not want a solid axle at all. It is too easy to back-half the car, and I think you lose a lot of the cars uniqeness.

Welcome to the CAC

Unfortunately the original poster doesn't seem to be a member here anymore. I have no idea if this project was ever completed.

Narrowing the rear frame seems pretty straight forward with the body off. Figure how far you need to move the side rail in to clear the tire you want to use then cut the total amount out of the center of the 3 cross members in the kick up rails. Then move the side rail in to the required width and weld it all back together after a ton of measuring to be sure it's all back where it needs to be. Some extra plating and gussets would be in order too.

The differential cross member will need narrowed and adjustable length strut rods from the aftermarket will have to be used. The stock spring won't work and the trailing arms and shocks don't allow much room either. A coil over kit with offset trailing arms like this one from CorvetteMods.com
thumbnail.asp

would be a good way to go to give some extra clearance and solve the spring/shock issue. The half shafts will also need to be narrowed and brake lines modified. Custom offset wheels may be necessary to center the tire between the outer body and the frame rails.

Also you will probably need a fuel cell sized to the area you have left to mount it. And of course the wheel wells and floor mods so the body will set down on the frame again. There might be a good argument for side pipes here as well as the spare tire carrier won't go back in.

I probably missed something. LPE used to make a larger half shaft for drag racing but I don't see them on their site anymore. Also here's a good article on upgrading the C3 driveline for higher horsepower.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom