Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mobil1 Oil Filter

S

Steel Half-Shafts

It's just about time to do the Winter oil and filter change on the ole ZR-1 :)

Anyone have any pros or cons about using the Mobil 1 Oil Filter #M1-207 on a 1990 LT5 :confused:

I've been using the stock GM filter, but seeing that I'm using Mobil 1 oil, I assume that it would do a better job than the OEM!

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Gordy,

I've been using the Mobil 1 filter on mine for a year now. Other than the color (white), I think it's an excellent filter and superior to the stock AC filter. Just my two cents.

S

Steel Half-Shafts

Thanks Rob for the info. :)

Did you notice any increase or decrease in Cam Chain Rattle assuming your ZR-1 has it?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Honestly, I didn't notice any difference. Over the years, I've tried several different oils, filters, etc., in an attempt to minimize the CCT rattle....all to no avail. I've given up trying. I mainly use the Mobil 1 filter because of the reputation it has for good filtering qualities....I run Mobil 1 oil in the car.....use Mobil 1 gas if I can't find Sunoco 94 octane.....I'm a Mobil kinda guy. :)

S

Steel Half-Shafts

Thanks Rob,
Seems we both think alike! :)
I'm going to give the Mobil 1 filter a try. I've been using the Mobil 1 oil since 1993.
The Sunoco 94 is all I run in the ZR-1 and the BSA.

rkreigh

Cliff and the ZR1 registry did a nice comparison of the oil filters with them all cut open for you to see. the stock and the mobil 1 looked like the best candidates. problem is the stock ones had RUST in them (no thanks!!!).

The chain rattle thing bugs me too. I am going to try to get the retro fit tensioners installed and hopefully solve this.

where do you guys buy the Mobil 1 filters, seems hard to find.

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Ron,

Around here, try Target and Trak Auto Parts. I was at Trak last Saturday in Sterling and I believe they had a couple of the Mobil 1 filters. They also had a couple of the stock black GM filters too!

S

Steel Half-Shafts

Ron,
I just picked up a couple from the Mobil 1 e-Store:
http://www.exxonmobil.com/netcom/mobil1estore/index2.html

$9.99ea. Of course you will have to spring for the shipping! :(

They don't list the 1990 > 1992 LT5 engine on the oil filter finder, so you need to put in 1993 for the year and up pops the ZR-1 with a M1-207 as the filter to use.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Win Both Corvettes!

Win Both Corvettes and Get Extra Bonus Tickets Now!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Dead Center Foundation

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Partners

Top Bottom