Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

More Brake Questions

82RL

Corvette
2000 LT. Pewter Coupe
I posted before on my problems with air in my brake lines, but i have another question, I understand the possibility of the calipers pumping air through the o rings. My question, is there special calipers that prevent this ? Can i use GM, Mid America Vette brakes etc. Also if this does not solve the problem is rotating the rotors next? I have changed the calipers on the front with ones bought at O,Reilleys (before I new about the air problem) . I think they were made by G.M. (not sure) .Was this a mistake?

Changing calipers to avoid pumping is just masking the problem, not fixing it. Many people use the o-ring type caliper as they seem to be more resistant to air being sucked in.

It's always preferable to go after the root of the problem. Find out if you due have excessive run out on the rotors, then find out why. If the run out is fixed properly, then no fancy aftermarket fixes are required.

Mike

The stock calipers and the rebuild SS ones use a lip seal instead of an O ring unless you order them special from a couple of vendors.
Like the man said,check your rotors for runout and get them down to .000-.003" otherwise you'll continue to have this problem. Rotating them in location may help but it will cover the parking brake shoe hole-if they still work? If they have been turned before I'm sure you'll have excessive runout. Also there is only .035" of "window" from new to discard thickness to vette rotors.
CM

From what I've read on other posts, the rotors should be turned as an assembly. That's why GM rivited the rotors at the factory. If you have new SS calipers I would pick up the O-ring pistins at www.vettebrakes.com. It all depends on how much money you want to put into it.

82RL,
There is a recall on the C3 calipers that have recently been installed by Gm dealerships. They are rebuilt by A1 Cardone. The ones you bought from O'reilley's are most likey made by the same company. Don't be fooled by the Oring calipers. They have their own inherent problems. There's a reason GM didn't use orings. Chances are if you order from Vettebrakes they will be drop-shipped from Lone Star Caliper.
Rotor runout will cause air pumping into the calipers. But the quality of the rebuilder and the brand of the pistons (there are several manufacturers) have alot to do with it. Piston to sleeve clearances can vary as much as .010 between bores. If you get a chance come on down to Dallas and I'll show you how a quality caliper is done.

Mike

I need new calipers too. What are the problems with o-ring calipers? I have heard from several guys that went with the 0-ring units and they swear by them. Completely eliminated air pumping into the calipers. My rotors look good and if I can solve the problem with o-rings calipers, I will.

The problem they have is the pistons getting stuck in the bores when heated up and burning up the pads and rotors.

Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom