Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Motor Mix Match

Iratherbjeepn

Corvette
;help Im new to the corvette world, so i have a question. I bought a 1981 corvette with a ZZ motor. The problem is the guy says he doesnt know if its a ZZ3 or a ZZ4. How can I find out what i have? Also are ZZ3 and ZZ4 engine parts interchangable? I also heard some LT1 engine parts fit the ZZ motors. Is any of this true? ;shrug

i don't know how to tell which engine is which. i have an 81. it is the same basic engine as the early lt1's. the block is the same. the lt1's had 4 bolt mains. yours has 2 bolt mains. that doesn't matter at all for street driving. the cranks are the same . the lt1 crank is steel. the 81 is cast. again, no biggies for street driving. rods on the lt1 are harder than the 81. that doesn't matter for street driving either. pistons will be a higher compression piston than the 8, but will fit perfectly into the 81 block. the heads and cam are the big difference. they also will fit the 81 block. truth is. after all thes years the aftermarket engine parts are eons bette than th lt1 parts. a good set of heads and matching cam will bring your stock 81 to life. good intake carb and distributor also will be needed. if you got the right heads cam and intake system. you 81 will blow the old lt1 out of the water.

steve pastorino

Welcome to the CAC.

I think he's talking about a crate motor in his '81.

Try Googling ZZ3 and ZZ4. Might tell you the differences.

the lt 1 [gen II] heads won't work on the gen I engine because the cooling in the heads is reversed. i'm old school. when we're talking c-3's, and talk lt 1, i think '70 camaro. my bad. [p.s. i'm 60]

steve pastorino

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom