Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mounting MSD Ignition Box

Hrtbeat1

Corvette
'90 coupe (gone) '96 CE LT4 Z51
I bought a MSD 6AL ignition box about a year ago. Well this weekend I was digging around thru the garage and found the whole box of stuff. I went through all of it and think I've got a bunch of extra harnesses. So anyway I got the stuff I need and went out to the car to figure out where to mount all of it. I found that the coil can fit next to the ECM inboard and attach to the firewall. The problem I'm having is finding a place for the MSD box. I think the best place for it is on the cross support brace that runs from the frame to the corner of the windshield near the battery, actually mounted under the brake master cylinder. So I spent all day yesterday bending and fabricating a bracket to mount this thing on but still don't have it all the way done.

Anybody got a MSD ignition and where did you put your box? Descriptions would be good but a pic would be better.

Thanks
:w

I have wanted to get one too, but have been looking for a place to mount it before I spend the money to get one. If you have done this please shaire your insights. Thanks

Justin

Hrtbt,

I'm another one with Msd box, yet have to find an easy place to put it.
In my '84. Someone on the forum sent me a pic of where they installed it. I;m still trying to find that pic.
Good Luck
tony

Tanreall Awesome thanks a bunch. I see Kimosabe ... No use little rubber feet and use HEI bypass. That is where I planned on mounting the coil pack, mine has an external coil and a new coil cap for the HEI unit. I was going to use the same screws as you. With all the extra harnesses I got with this thing I could probabally use the green and purple connection. I'll have to take pics tommorrow if I got this bracket bent right. Instead of drilling the cross brace I got these nifty little stainless ties bout 14" my brackets got legs to attach it to the crossbrace. :w

OK this still isn't finished but its close. A little more tweaking on the bracket and I think it will work great. This is what I've come up with the coil pack near the firewall and above the brake booster and the MSD box on the cross support. I'm using the rubber feet for vibration dampening.

Thanks again Tanreall

Hrtbeat1 said:
Anybody got a MSD ignition and where did you put your box? Descriptions would be good but a pic would be better.

Thanks
The best place to put it is inside the passenger compartment, but if your electrcial skills aren't the best, or you're not confident with cutting and splicing, then you're limited to under the hood. That said, put it where you can get airflow across it, and USE the vibration mounts! I've installed a bunch on various cars over the years, and all I can tell you is MSD boxes HATE heat. Keep it as cool as you can. Just FYI. :)

On my 85, the windshield washer reservior bottle was removed. The MSD was installed in its place...

AdvancedAutoCC said:
MSD boxes HATE heat. Keep it as cool as you can. Just FYI. :)
Thanks. Cape Coral .... man that brings back memories ... from way back. I used to live there about 30 yrs ago. SW 15th street seems to ring a bell. Both my sisters were born in Lee Co. Memorial, and I still have an aunt that lives in Ft. Myers.

Any chance you could fit a msd 6al behind the battery or would that not be very smart?

I mounted one forward of the left front wheel, low so the headlight would not hit it. I had to rotate the bracket that holds three relays to horizontal and extend the MSD wires, back through new black flex tubing, to the distributor, etc.

I unmounted it after learning it was a waste of money on my motor, then traded it to a pal in Japan in exchange for a rebuild on my Hondacycle, there. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom