Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MSD Street Fire Spark Plug Wires

I have always bought ordinary Belden or AC Delco spark plug wires because of their low cost and good quality. But this time I bought the more expensive MSD Street Fire wires and discovered they are actually solid core wires with a very low 500 ohms resistance per foot. I had to cut 5 of them 6-8" shorter and when I was cutting them I discovered they have a 1/32" nylon (???) core with a real fine wire about .005" diameter and spiral wound around the core; making them true "solid core" wires. The spiral wire was pretty hard and stiff so I assume it's a copper alloy. As the set came with a short coil-to-distributor wire I'll cut it apart tomorrow morning to find out more about the spiral wire.

Antz81

Corvette
1981 4 speed
[h=2]Diagram[/h]
SPW_Callout.jpg

• Snap-Lock Plug Grip
  • Separate Crimp Tabs for the Conductor
  • Large Crimp Tabs grip the sleeve
  • 8.5mm jacket protects against high heat and resists tears
  • Extra heavy glass braid
  • High dielectric insulator
  • Ferro-magnetic impregnated center core
  • Helically wound copper alloy conductor

Should save you some time.

Should save you some time.

Thank you VERY much for the picture. The real fine wire I was referring to is that illustration #8 as it's wound real tight around the center (nylon?) core. I would rate these MSD's as the best wires I have ever bought. As they are so heavy duty in their construction I can see them lasting a very long time..............until they get mechanical damage to them anyway and that'll likely never happen.

It's sure nice to have it hitting on all 8 again after my major screw up. I was so focused on getting my Ram Air installed I failed to notice how close the #2 wire was to the air cleaner base.

When I removed the spark plug "snap" end from the wire I found the spiral-wound wire was simply bent backwards about 1/2" alongside the outer sheath and then the snap end was crimped over it. As I keep the snap ends in stock and I have the special Belden pliers it was real easy to shorten them so they fit better.

Last edited:

Hib Halverson

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
Corvette
71 04 12 19
The picture posted is MSD SuperConductor wire not "Street Fire".

I have long experience with SuperConductor. I think it's the best plug wire on the market, in spite of it being a bit expensive. I have one set on my 71 which has been in service since the mid-90s. It's really durable stuff, that's for sure. I have it on all my vehicles which have spark plug wires.

Antz81

Corvette
1981 4 speed
You are quite right about it being the super conductor, however I do believe that they are likely to contain the same helically wound copper alloy conductor, with the street fire using a Kevlar based center core while the super conductor uses the ferro-magnetic center core

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Top Bottom