Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! My 1978 Corvette...Tire Questions!

Mitch

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1978 Black Coupe
I would appreciate your input very much! Currently, I have staggered BFG RADIAL T/A tires--P225/70R15 on the front and P235/70R15 on the rear. I'm thinking now to replace them with the same brand but with a fatter P245/60R15 tires on the front and P255/60R15 on the back. The Reason I'm keeping em staggered is for that SLIGHT nose dip up front. My questions are : 1. How much will these new tires lower my car? I really don't want it any lower than it is--but I might be able to accept a little. 2. Would there be any ride problems with this set-up? 3. Do you think my car will look better with the black wall or would you go with the raised white letters? Thanks, everyone!
zzzMYgirl78.jpg

I like the raised white letter look.The 245 will be a little shorter but also wider.It shouldn't lower your car much but they will fill out the wheelweel better because they are wider.One of the best things i've done to my car was getting rid of the225-70's and replaced them with 245-60's.Heres how mine looks with them.
DSC00566.jpg

You can work out your tyres diameter quite easily
the First no (235) is the width in cm , the 2nd no is the ratio of height to width (70= 0.7)
So a 235/70 is 23.5 wide x .7 = 16.5 cm high off the rim
A 245/60 = 24.5 x .6 = 14.7 high off the rim
So in essence , if you swap these 2 tyres , your wheel diameter will reduce by 1.5 "
16.5 x 2 = 33 33/2.54(convert from cm to inches) = 13" , add your 15" rim - 28" diameter
the 14.7 (245/60) = 26.5" tyre
You would lower the car by 1/2 the difference in tyre diameter , ie you will lower your car 0.75" if you change to those tyres

If you wanted a more aggressive stance , use a 50 profile up front

The added effect will be more traction cos of the wider tyre and cos the diameter is lower , you effectively shorten the rear ratio , giving better acceleration and less top speed. If you have a 3.00:1 rear , you effectively increase it to a 3.15:1 ...

I like the raised white letter look.The 245 will be a little shorter but also wider.It shouldn't lower your car much but they will fill out the wheelweel better because they are wider.One of the best things i've done to my car was getting rid of the225-70's and replaced them with 245-60's.Heres how mine looks with them.
DSC00566.jpg

I guess it's up to what you like, but I had 60 series on my 79 L-48 and they rode poorly and rubbed the front wheel house edge? But Like others here, I doubt they would lower you car any significant amount. C-3 have plenty of ride height stock.

Personally i like raised white letter tires, but your car has that stealth look to it and RWLs may not be so appropriate.

I've always liked RWLs on sharks. I especially like the outlined ones like the Eagles GM installed in the early 80s. A retro look for a retro car.

I guess it's up to what you like, but I had 60 series on my 79 L-48 and they rode poorly and rubbed the front wheel house edge? But Like others here, I doubt they would lower you car any significant amount. C-3 have plenty of ride height stock.

Killain,
Now you have me a bit worried. I just today ordered the 60 series tires from a local Firestone Store. They should be in Monday. I decided not to stagger them and go with the FireHawk Indy 500s (P255/60R15s all around). I thought that the P255/60R15s were an option for '78 and '79 Corvettes! You said that you had rub problems?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500

Personally i like raised white letter tires, but your car has that stealth look to it and RWLs may not be so appropriate.

Curtis,
I still haven't decided on the RWL or the blackwall side. When I bought the car back in April, this is how it came and was quite impressive after seeing so many other vettes with RWLs. It's a tough decision. My son-in-law keeps telling me to go with the white letters LOL!

I don't have a picture of them, but I love the way my Firehawk Indy 500 tires look on mine with the RWL.

And the tires have held up very, very well. More than 20K miles and they still look brand new. The handling is exceptional regardless of road condition (never tried ice, though).

You might consider having 2 tires mounted with the letters out and two as blackwalls.. put em on the car and take a look. when you spend that kind of money for tires I would think the shop will accomodate you and not charge you much to reverse the two you don't like.

I have P255/60R/15's on my 78 with no rubbing issues. I did heat the springs forward to have the ride height level. My 78 was bow high for some reason.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom