Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warning! My Buyavette Experience

Maybe not in Canada

It's got nothing to do with Canada. 99% of the horror stories about slimy used car dealers come from you guys in the Excited States.

So, you're saying that if you are going to sell a used C3, you would remove the half shafts and spindle nut just to see if the threads are OK on the spindle? Do you remove all six of the u joints to inspect the rollers? How about the input pinion preload on the diff? Syncros in the tranny? Worm gear and lower bearing in the steering box?

I hear what you're saying but it's impossible to cost effectively disassemble a car sufficiently to inspect 100% of the thousands of components that 'might' have a problem.

It is true that the selling dealer should have caught some of the stuff, but the OP did clarify that he was not bashing the dealer as much as he was bashing himself. :beer

73 Shark,
It had a copper line in it already and it was leaking. The quickest fix was to put in a replacement plastic line. We'll see how long that lasts before it melts in the engine bay or something. It would be nice if I could replace the line with a electric sending unit on the engine and a wire to a stock appearing gauge and not have to worry about it.

No Corvette came with a copper line, the original material was copper plated steel. The plastic lines in C3s works very well and is very durable if installed correctly and with the proper fittings. No chance of them melting, nothing in the area is anywhere near hot enough.

Thanks Mikey,
I screwed up as much as the dealer. The problems I was finding didn't come from digging for them either. I asked the mechanic (different shop, reputable, btw) to adjust the parking brake because you had to pull the handle all the way up (way past 14 clicks) to get a hint of use. When they pulled the left rear, the shoes were down to the rivets. When they pulled the right, the spindle stripped. They didn't go any further even though they had the shoes to do the job. They also only charge me for two of the four hours they spent with the spindle.
Shrekviper

So, you're saying that if you are going to sell a used C3, you would remove the half shafts and spindle nut just to see if the threads are OK on the spindle? Do you remove all six of the u joints to inspect the rollers? How about the input pinion preload on the diff? Syncros in the tranny? Worm gear and lower bearing in the steering box?
I'm saying I will if I detect some sort of a problem there!!:thumb
First thing I check out is Wheel Bearings,Ball Joints,Tie Rod Ends,Steering Linkage, and Brakes! Then I drive them for 200-300 miles making a to do list and decide what is best from there!(Repair it,Part it,Wholesale it,or Auction it!):thumb:thumb
I don't save them all!:thumb:thumb:thumb

I look for all sorts of tell tale signs of future problems,and I know what to look for under a Candy Coating!!I've been wrenching and repairing collision damage on these cars for over 40 years!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
And I've learned from the Best of the Best and I've also seen what not to do from some of the Biggest Slop Jockeys that ever Sh*t between a pair of leather shoes!!:boogie:boogie:boogie

I hear what you're saying but it's impossible to cost effectively disassemble a car sufficiently to inspect 100% of the thousands of components that 'might' have a problem.
Oh,I agree!! But after I've driven one a few hundred miles and looked it over good,I can purdy much tell if it can be a "Silk Purse" or a "Sows Ear"!! :D:D:D

Every Vehicle that go's on my Lot or Web Site must,
Look Right
Drive Right
Ride Right
Stop Right
Every option must work Properly or it don't make the
"Junked Seal of Approval" and will be History!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

I've seen first hand the inspection that Junk does and He does exactly what he says .:D
Thats why he's regarded by many as the best in the Southeast :D

I purchased my '76 from an in state dealer 10+ years ago. I checked it out, noted what was wrong. Dealer told me what he thought needed work, and was correct. Dealer also gave me the name and phone of the previous owner, and he verified what I found and what the dealer found. No warranty on the car, but I knew going in, what it would need.

Price was satisfactory for both parties, so I bought it. I have not been disappointed.

Not all dealers are scum, but many are. You have to inspect and know what to look for.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom