Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My CD player bit the dust...

XLR8

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible
My CD player has been acting up more and more recently and finally bit the dust last week. When I plug in a CD it just gives me an error message and spits it back out.

So....... I bought an iPod and connector to play it through my FM band on my radio. Hope it works okay because I'm not spending the bucks to fix the CD player.

Anyone else gone this route?

:wJane Ann

Hi Jane-Ann. Sorry to hear about the death of your cd player. I am fortunate that mine hasn't given up the ghost as of yet. The fm transmitter works well. Hardwiring your Ipod into your stereo is even better. Best mod to my coupe that I have made. Enjoy.:w

I know the C4 Bose CD players have a tendency to die, only they don't spit out the CD's... I use my iPod in my 'Vette all the time. It is definately better than switching out CD's every hour or so.

:thumb Jason

The C4 track record (pardon the pun:chuckle) is the very reason I'm not repairing my C5's CD player. I had the player in my C4 pulled and rebuilt. It lasted a year and went out again. :eyerole And the one in my C5 has often skipped and jumped when riding over rough pavement.

I'm looking forward to having all my tunes in one place and as Jason says, not having to deal with the whole CD scene. :thumb

Bring it on! :guitar:_rock

20.gif

Jane Ann, I used my iPod in my C5 also, through an FM transmitter. It sounded OK, not great. The whole Bose system IMHO in the C5 was just mediocre. If I had to go back and do it over, I would definetly get it hard wired in.

Jane Ann,
I'm curious- how much will it cost to repair the malfunctioning CD player? How would that cost compare to installing an after-market stereo which features a plug in-port for an I-pod?

-Patrick

If mine goes out I'm putting in either a carputer, or an aftermarket deck. The after market deck will need an 'adapter' to connected into the bose part of the system. Last time I checked it was around $100

Jane Ann,
I'm curious- how much will it cost to repair the malfunctioning CD player? How would that cost compare to installing an after-market stereo which features a plug in-port for an I-pod?

-Patrick

I'm not sure, Patrick. I'd have to find my recp't from the last time and that's about 6 years old. As for a Corvette only plug-in stereo, I can use this set-up in any of my vehicles... not just the Vette. :D

Update

Well, the FM transmitter route never worked worth diddly, so I'm biting the bullet and putting in a new Alpine iDA-X100 head unit with iPod connection.

Taking her in for installation tomorrow morning.
:_rock

ida-x100.jpg

Well, the FM transmitter route never worked worth diddly, so I'm biting the bullet and putting in a new Alpine iDA-X100 head unit with iPod connection.

ida-x100.jpg
Send me the old unit,I'm always needing extra parts!!:thumb :D

Send me the old unit,I'm always needing extra parts!!:thumb :D

You'd be welcome to it, junkie, but I'm saving it to re-install when I buy a newer model down the road. :w

ida-x100.jpg
That is very nice Jane Ann. I am sure you will enjoy it. Are you adding speakers and amp?

If I remember correctly from reading many past threads on the issue a CD cleaning disk fixes many otherwise dead CD players. A new head unit will require a Bose adapter and filler plate to conceal the space from 1 1/2 din hole left by stock radio. Hope you haven't bit the bullet on the cost of a new unit before trying this out, I got mine at goodwill ($0.50)when wife was dropping off old clothes and it has cured my player. Now and then when it acts up I just run the CD cleaner and it's good to go . Good luck, Zig.

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement, Zig. I wanted the new unit for a few months because I wanted to use only my iPod in my Vette and eliminate carrying multiple CD carrying cases, Now all my music is in one place and the only thing required to switch to something different is the push of a button. :thumb

Thanks again for the advice. I'll remember that when I re-install it prior to selling this Vette to upgrade.

Hi Jane Ann:w. I can understand a desire to upgrade. But It would be a difficult decision for me if I had such a beautiful car as you do now. Enjoy the new stereo:thumb

Hi Jane Ann:w. I can understand a desire to upgrade. But It would be a difficult decision for me if I had such a beautiful car as you do now. Enjoy the new stereo:thumb

Thanks Mark! :cool I'm not considering making any changes at this time. I do like my Cinnamon Girl. :D

Actually, I've given a lot of thought to possibly going with a LeMans Blue 'vert next time... 'cause I really like that Corvette color too.

The new stereo and my iPod sounded great on the road today... top down and tunes rockin'!:_rock

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom