Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My MODS so far.... Thanks Forum!!!!

86er

Hey all!
:w

86er here, fairly new to this forum, but have gained much already and am a novice in training. I recently purchased a 1986 L98 Coupe with aluminum heads several months ago. The car was so stock I think everything was original.... plugs, cap, everything!!!! Car ran ok, but ran very sleepy.

With the forums help I've done the following mods with ease and most of them free or almost free and have noticeable performance gains and responsiveness, the car is now ALIVE and runs awesome! Not too many hours invested in time either.

$0 Removed & Cleaned IAC and housing
$0 Adjust IAC idle @ 500
$0 Adjust TPS @ .646Vdc
$0 Adjust TPS at Wide Open Throttle @ 4.53
$0 Cut Air Lid
$0 Removed & Cleaned Throttle Body
$0 Descreened Mass Air Flow Sensor
$0 Adjust Timing to Factory Setting (for now)
$0 Flowmaster Mufflers (FREE from buddy)
$0 Clean in between radiaotr (8" of debris)
$50 K&N Air Filter
$85 Hypertech Power Coil Ignition System
$16 AC Delco RapidFire #5's (gapped @ .045)
$60 MSD 8.5mm SuperConductor Wires
$35 Brake Pads - Front
$11 160 T-Stat (Live in Florida)
$30 Hypertech ThermoMaster Chip (mainly for fans)
$4 Replace PCV Valvle
$45 Balance Tires

I am more than happy with resluts, found lost double digits of horse power, worth every penny and every hour. Car averages 165 degrees on highway and 195 in traffic in 90+ degree weather.

Now that shes running perfect, it's time to start spending some money for some feel it in your britches mods. Mods above have greatly improved performance, but only improved moderately over stock peak performance. You cant expect a couple hundred dollars and a Craftsman tool set to yield too many ponies more than what she came with originally. But I'm squeezing them out little by little. :L

In my quest for more HP, I am looking to do headers next, and expect to gain about 25hp with current mods, but also want them in part to clean up the sides of the engine. I already have true dual exhaust in garage waiting for headers, which I'll proablly run with hi-flo cats straight to the back. I am also looking to do larger runners and plenum porting to match. This with headers and hi-flo's should help it breathe a little better.

Any other moderate performance suggestions without going into engine too much????????

WOW, that's a great start and forward looking approach, you're right on target. Next would be a cam and some work on the intake if you feel like it. Not a ton more you can do without going deep accept perhaps change out the rear gears if neccesary :upthumbs Make her look nice and take her to the track :beer

How many mi. and what tranny do you have? Welcome to the forum :) looks like you've done your homework :cool What's the ultimate goal?

Thanks Moonunit.

I've got 80k in mileage with a 700 R-4 automatic.

And you're right about the homework, when I got the car I didn't know about any of these mods.

I was thinking of gears, I've got 2.73's and am considering 3.54's when I go with a better cam.

:beer
Here is another free mod for you. The "Throttle Body Coolant Bypass"
I did not see it in your list of mods.

What you need:
Buy an 18" long piece of 3/4" diameter hose with a 90 degree bend on one end from your local parts store. Should not cost more than $5.

How to do it:
1.Drain some coolant from the radiator onto a clean container. This will lower the coolant level below the Throttle Body so you won't make such a mess.
2. Remove the "U" shape hose that runs from the front of the intake manifold to the bottom of the Throttle Body. Keep the 2 hose clamps.
3. Remove the other coolant hose that runs from the side of the Throttle Body to the solid Heater Core coolant line on the Passager's side.
4. Connect the "New" hose from the Passanger's side Heater Core line to the outlet on the front of the Intake manifold, bypassing the Throttle Body. Use the 2 hose clamps from earlier. The 90 degree bend goes to the Intake manifold.
5. Refill the radiator with the coolant in the container.

Note: You can route the "New" hose under the TPS Sensor or under the AC compressor. If you choose a different route, be sure the hood still closes fine without pinching off the "New" hose.

What it does:
GM's intent for running hot coolant through the Throttle Body was to help prevent the Throttle Body blades from "icing" up upon start up in cold weather. What this does is create a hot spot in the air intake passange and heats up the incoming air as it enters the motor. Cold air is better. Cold air is more dense makes more power that Hot air. This will also make it really easy to remove the Throttle Body in the future without having to mess with any coolant lines, just 4 bolts and it's off. You do not need hot coolant flowing through your Throttle Body beacuse you live in Miami:upthumbs

The next item I would purchase for your 86 is an "1986 Corvette Shop Manual". You can get them cheap on Ebay. This is a must have. It will save you lots of money in the future incase you run into any problems.

Mods are like drugs! Once you start you cant stop!! I agree with the TB bypass. Its a good cheap mod. Another cheap mod is getting a adjustable Fuel Pressure regulator.

nice! with a few mods your sleepy vette won't be too sleepy! :D

87 Coupe
Current Mod List:
Mostly stock all free mods K&N open air box, MAF descreened, TB Bypassed, 160* T-Stat, Accel Super Coil, 12* degree advance timing, TPiS Long Tube Headers, Gutted Cat, and No Mufflers. Hayden Tranny cooler. Stock 1600 rpm stall and a 2.59 rear gear with Goodyear F1 D3's at 18.5 psi.

428980_52.jpg

i'm at 200' above sea level and don't have too many more mods than you do! keep at it and before you know it you'll be pulling C5 vettes :D

check out my cardomain site in sig at bottom and keep modding :_rock

86PACER said:
:beer
Here is another free mod for you. The "Throttle Body Coolant Bypass"
I did not see it in your list of mods.

Thanks 86Pacer.

That was one of the mods I FORGOT to do when I had the TB off. :cry

Mod's`

How about a turbo? They really aren't that expensive.

86er said:
Hey all!
:w

86er here, fairly new to this forum, but have gained much already and am a novice in training. I recently purchased a 1986 L98 Coupe with aluminum heads several months ago. The car was so stock I think everything was original.... plugs, cap, everything!!!! Car ran ok, but ran very sleepy.

With the forums help I've done the following mods with ease and most of them free or almost free and have noticeable performance gains and responsiveness, the car is now ALIVE and runs awesome! Not too many hours invested in time either.

$0 Removed & Cleaned IAC and housing
$0 Adjust IAC idle @ 500
$0 Adjust TPS @ .646Vdc
$0 Adjust TPS at Wide Open Throttle @ 4.53
$0 Cut Air Lid
$0 Removed & Cleaned Throttle Body
$0 Descreened Mass Air Flow Sensor
$0 Adjust Timing to Factory Setting (for now)
$0 Flowmaster Mufflers (FREE from buddy)
$0 Clean in between radiaotr (8" of debris)
$50 K&N Air Filter
$85 Hypertech Power Coil Ignition System
$16 AC Delco RapidFire #5's (gapped @ .045)
$60 MSD 8.5mm SuperConductor Wires
$35 Brake Pads - Front
$11 160 T-Stat (Live in Florida)
$30 Hypertech ThermoMaster Chip (mainly for fans)
$4 Replace PCV Valvle
$45 Balance Tires

Now that shes running perfect, it's time to start spending some money for some feel it in your britches mods. Mods above have greatly improved performance, but only improved moderately over stock peak performance. You cant expect a couple hundred dollars and a Craftsman tool set to yield too many ponies more than what she came with originally. But I'm squeezing them out little by little. :L

Any other moderate performance suggestions without going into engine too much????????

Depending on how crazy/how much gas you want to burn, lots of other things: When I rebuilt my motor in 2000, I of course upgraded the CAM. In conjunction with that, I got a chip burned using the CAM specs. That REALLY got it moving pretty good. I believe I bought it on ebay, but found the source through this website.

High pressure fuel regulator to bump it up from 43 psi to about 50.5 will atomize the fuel spray better. I also upgraded my fuel injectors for more flow. How much that helped, I'm not sure since I did a few things at once.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom