Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

my rear end is making niose! CANT PIN THE PROBLEM DOWN!

vetteKID

Corvette
74 L-48 coupe & 85 454 coupe
ok about a two days ago, i noticed a sound coming from the back passenger side wheel. it sounded like a metal wire was wraped around the half shaft and making a kinda weird sound. check it.....nothing. now this morning, being 80* out side, i drove it. now every time i start it makes a clicking niose and turns into that metallic spinning niose. any ideas guys? half shafts? clutch? center chunk?

I'd start by checking the u-joints. Make sure all the nuts are
tight. You can check by the alignment of the wheel on that side.
(should be close to 90 degrees, I used a large framing square)
Then you may want to check your rear diff fluid. My '66 was
making some odd noises, (not as bad as you're describing) and I
wound up replacing the left side u-joints, rear end fluid and also
put in a 8-12 oz (not sure exact size) can of "anti-chatter"
additive. Fixed the problem!

Good luck!

Jim

E-brake?

Don't the C3 emergency brakes sometimes stick?
You have a lot of moving (spinning) parts to check back there. Be methodical and thorough.
Let's hope it is a quick and easy fix.
Heidi

Oh Yeah..........Similiar noise. I, too, thought it was the e-brake. Nope, no such luck, turned out to be the driver's side rear wheel bearing..........& I could of swore it was coming from the passenger side. Noises travel strangely in a Corvette. Don't rule anything out. Start with the easiest thing & go from there.

Good luck! Dave BTW: try pulling your e-brake handle (in the interior) up & down & see if that makes a difference. If it does, then you'll know it's that 'ole e-brake

how much does a wheel bearing replacement cost?

vetteKID said:
how much does a wheel bearing replacement cost?

Vettekid: Before you jump the gun & start changing things. Make sure that's what it is. If it is a wheel bearing & you do decide to do it yourself & you've never done it before, it can be tricky. Also, you'll need special tools & guages to set it up properly. I didn't have all of the stuff to do it myself, so I opted to get my spindles rebuilt by a corvette shop. I removed it from the car & took only what I wanted the shop to rebuild. Then put it back into the car. Cost a little bit more that if you did everything yourself. But, I feel it save me alot of time & headaches in the long run. Hope this helps you out. Dave

I had the same whirling noise that sounded like a right rear bearing. After my mechanic verified they were good, I took some advice from some other posts and spent $25 to have the rear end oil changed (making sure the additive was put in). I was amazed by the amount of vette owners that got rid of rear end noises with this simple maintenace. Worked for me.:)

I promise you, I have the exact same sound. Same side.

I also thought I had picked up some wire on the road and pulled over to look under the car. Nothing there, so drove off. Sound went away. Now about 2 months later its back.

I have been told its the u-joints by someone I trust. We'll see.

I also get a squeek-squeek-squeek sound as the tire rotates. Speed changes with car speed. Again, told this indicated u-joints.

I had thought it was the e-brake rusting out inside - springs or something. Told it was not that.

Let us know what you find out.

Also, mine is intermittent. I can drive for miles and no sound, and then its there, and then it will go away. If it were a wheel bearing, I would think it would be a continual sound.

Larry82 said:
I promise you, I have the exact same sound. Same side.

I also thought I had picked up some wire on the road and pulled over to look under the car. Nothing there, so drove off. Sound went away. Now about 2 months later its back.

I have been told its the u-joints by someone I trust. We'll see.

I also get a squeek-squeek-squeek sound as the tire rotates. Speed changes with car speed. Again, told this indicated u-joints.

I had thought it was the e-brake rusting out inside - springs or something. Told it was not that.

Let us know what you find out.

Also, mine is intermittent. I can drive for miles and no sound, and then its there, and then it will go away. If it were a wheel bearing, I would think it would be a continual sound.

Yes.........that squeak squeak sound is u-joints. A clicking sound, especially when turning, is more than likely, the clutch pack plates starting to dry out (also could be like a bumping or knocking sound as well) That would be clutch chatter in the clutch pack. A clicking, grinding, or metalic sound while going straight or posibily in a turn is pretty much wheel bearings (outside chance it could be the e-brake). All of these sounds could come and go (be intermittent). I had a wheel bearing completely weld itself to the spindle & lock up. You don't want that to happen. I was traveling at about 50 MPH when it happened & my vette suddenly did a 360 right in the middle of the road. Thank God it was late at night & there was nobody else on the road with me at the time, especially on-coming traffic, or I would of been hit head on. Anytime I hear strange noises coming from my rear, I'll check everything back there, just in case. The rear wheel bearing set up in a C-3 is, in my opinion, a very poor design (so make sure that if you do change your rear wheel bearings, get the grease fitting sleeved ones & keep 'em greased all the time. Dave

----"ok about a two days ago, i noticed a sound coming from the back.... making a kinda weird sound. check it.....nothing. now this morning..." ---------nobody else will tell this poor guy the truth, so allow me to take a shot at it--- obviously a classic gastric-intestional condition, simply lay-off the PintoBeans friend, and by tomarrow the sounds will undoubtedly subside... ~Bob vH
:confused :eek :( ;LOL

rear end is making noise

I too have a squeaking noise, when the car is moving at a very slow speed...... I thought it might be a rotor? What would I look for on the U-joints, loose bolts? Tks 1976 L-48

Re: rear end is making noise

drduckster said:
I too have a squeaking noise, when the car is moving at a very slow speed...... I thought it might be a rotor? What would I look for on the U-joints, loose bolts? Tks 1976 L-48 [/QUO

Chances are the u-joint bolts are not loose. Inspect the u-joints around the rubber cups & look for a rust like color. Also, if you can.........lube the u-joints. If there are greese fittings (zerts), or you can greese 'em by using the needle type adaptor & sticking it (needle) into each of the rubber boot-seal cups (there's alot of 'em) if your u-joints do not have fittings. also, you can grab the shafts & try to move 'em to see if there's play in any of the u-joints. Another way of knowing that if your u-joints are in poor shape & need to be replaced, is that you'll get vibrations in the car at various speeds (sometimes can be mistaken for wheels out of balance & front alignment out). Good luck.

rear end is making noise

checked the u-joints, they look ok..... I found 1 bolt loose ( turned about 2 rounds) on the wheel end of the passenger side half shaft. also 1 bolt loose on the driver side about the same. I drove the car about 10 miles, no noise....... it did not squeak all the time. thanks for the advice. ;shrug

Re: rear end is making noise

drduckster said:
checked the u-joints, they look ok..... I found 1 bolt loose ( turned about 2 rounds) on the wheel end of the passenger side half shaft. also 1 bolt loose on the driver side about the same. I drove the car about 10 miles, no noise....... it did not squeak all the time. thanks for the advice. ;shrug

Hey, sounds like you "nailed" the problem! Never really heard of the bolts losening up unless they were never tightened in the first place. Anybody been back there lately?

:J

rear end is making noise

I have owned the car for over 3 years...... I have put about 3000 miles on it. It is a # matching car with 76000 miles and to this point the parts I have replaced seem to be original. I would guess by what I am seeing in this forum that I should go ahead and have the rear-end grease changed, since I have not done so myself. what grease and additives should go in....... I do not have a "Vette" mechanic in this part of the country. I do have a Chevrolet dealer close but that is scary!! tks

If you want to do it yourself, you'll need a suction gun to get the old lube out and put the new lube in, and removing the upper spare tire tub makes it ten times easier to access the fill plug. Use the GM diff lube (two 23-oz. bottles) and one 4-oz. bottle of the GM Posi additive (put the Posi additive in first, then the diff lube). The dealer already has all this stuff (and the suction gun), and can do it a lot faster if you don't feel like doing it yourself.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom