Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mystery 327 next gen

vigman

Motor head!!!!
Corvette
88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!
A story in pictures designed to aid in a roller rocker install and valve job..... this is phase 1 drilling & tapping 101.. The new seats have been installed in the heads already & the guides have been knurled.

Remember me??!!

I'm back

Fresh from the machine shop!

So todays projects was doing the 2nd head

( first one's done )
and I thought it would be a good male bonding project for me & my boys!

As you can see I've got most of this one done

So it's like one of those cooking shows... where POOF the 2 hr turkey is done in 5 minutes.

So first you have to pull the stud out.. I made this tool @ work to make the pulling easier & to act as a tap guide

And yes..you need lots of washers

My son Brandon twisting the HUGH stud out!

And POP goes the little weasel

It's outta there! He needed the CHEATER BAR!

I of course did not ! HA! ( note you will never see a pix of ME working... I was the director of photography)

And the little bugger is out

These are Double hump 461 castings 2.02/1.90 which will have stainless valves
( Manley's )
New LT-1 Springs

Now it's drilling time!

I got my fly cutter from PAW ( $20.00 ) ish.

Use a SLOW speed drill, lots of cutting fluid and TAKE YOUR TIME. I cleaned up after EVERY cut .. as you can see, you take a rather large chunk of metal away.

The nice thing about the fly cutter it AUTO STOPS... once it's taken the correct amount of meat out!

After you drill.. it's hammer time!

You wind up with a sleeve off the old boss. get your cold chisel, saftey glasses and your favorite striking device..... tap-tap BOOM
POP and off the extra material comes.

Another view

Do not be afraid.. it comes loose easy! The round bit on the towel is the excess material!

And now REAM time!

Chuck this into your drill to take down the rough metal you just chiseled away~!

So the hole looks like this

Take off JUST enough... you just kiss it!

Tappin away

You put the tap guide/puller back on using either an OLD stud or one of your NEW WONDERFUL holes with the screw in studs.

And tap that baby...7/16-14 use alot of oil take your time AGAIN!!!!! 1 turn in 1/2 turn back and buy a GOOD 3 flute tap.

The block is a guide to keep all your tapped holes straight!

Now do this 7 more times

So it was hot.. my 2 boys were bored.. they started fighting.. we called it a day.

We will finish this Monday.

Important note here.. were running pushrod guide plates.. and the holes we are tapping do break in to the water jacket... as did the factory studs when you crank these down DO NOT forget to put some sealant on these threads..Like permatex... or I will bet you WILL leak!

That's all for now!

Vig!

The Saga continues

today was finishing & painting

For starters the OIL pan which was a total rust bucket... but with a little help from 3M abrasives ( medium grit burnish wheel ) and my air compressor...TADA!

We finished preppin the heads

took em outside and gave them a GOOD soap & water scrubbing then again for good measure... and did the same trick for the OLD stock rocker covers as we did the old pan.

And Voila!

So this is what the studs with guides SHOULD

look like when complete... hey what about that SHINE on the paint job,,,HUH?

OOPS

The pix didn't stick...but here!

And last for today

A second view.... VROOM!

Now I still have to lap the valves in the 2nd head and put the springs/keepers/studs/guides in ... but it too darn hot!

Enjoy

Next weekend crank fitting/oilpump/bearings/cam OH what fun!

Vig!

Nice Job Bro

I AM impressed!!! Stock bore and stroke or you're not telling yet? Compression, cam? You KNOW I'm a 327 man:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom