Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mystery Borg Warner 5-Spd

Nut

Corvette
Vette-less for now
Ok community, I need some help. I have a Borg Warner 5-spd tranny that my son got for free. Seems to be in excellent shape, but I have no idea what it came out of or what it will fit into. It has no metal ID tag/plate on it anywhere. There are a number of casting or serial numbers. Perhaps these can help.

On the case: 13 52 065 903
On the shifter: 13 52 066 911
On the side plate: 13 51 097 901

Any help is greatly appreciated.

........ Nut

Sorry I can't help Nut, but I wonder if anyone has put a 5 speed in a C3? (It sure could use another gear on the top end.) :z

Steve :w

Bob,

Check with these guys

http://www.abetrans.com/

I did some searching and could not pull anything direct from those numbers. I think it is a three digit number that will tell you exactly what you have. You might be able to give your numbers and or a visual descrip and get the answers from the link I gave you.

Sorry, Cant help Bob,
Im very interested in what you find out though.

Id give anything to get another gear , But I need to avoid the installation nightmare. I want to just swap my muncie 4 for a solid 5 speed that will bolt right on!!

TC

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to scrub the case down with solvent this weekend and see if there is a hidden Serno. or something else to help identify it.

.......... Nut

I've been reading up on the Borg Warner T-5 and World Class T-5. I think this is one of the trannys I am going to consider when I finally can afford the cost of installing an upgrade. I really like the idea of a 5 speed to replace my Saginaw 4 speed. I have read that the only T-5 worth anything is the World Class T-5 for chevy V8s. The ones made for the V6 are not strong enough. Even then, many say the T-5 is just not that strong period. Its certainly not for racing, but for street cruising I think it will work fine. Boy do I wish I could get one for free. Want to trade for my Saginaw?

Regards,

Jim

Jim.... As soon as I figure out what I've got maybe we can work something out. We're certainly close enough to swap hdwr. Stay tuned. I'm heading up to the garage right now for a little tranny "cleaning". Stay tuned.

............ Nut

More data. After a thorough inspection of the tranny a few minutes ago, there is absolutely no ID tag on the case. I did find "R1" on the side of the case. Also, the shifter is still attached. It is a long handled shifter remenisant of a truck shifter. That's all I know folks. Next step will be to post a picture this weekend.

Thanks for all the advise and help.

........... Nut

Hey Bob, I've been meaning to ask, since when did you and your family get into the hot parts business? :L

Now, now Bro. When the sons Rental company he was working at closed its doors, the owner told him he could have it. Nobody remembered what it came out of. It looks OK, spindle turns very easily and its not leaking anything. Just gotta figure out what it can mate with.

later............ Nut

5 speed

is that gearbox u have a 5 speed Tremec?... i know they are pretty much from the borg warner factory... i have had a few mods to mine to make it fit...Im in Australia.. so maybe the right hand drive stuff made it pretty hard to change over.. anyways overall it kicks ass :)

mystery borg warner

I have a borg warner 5 spd in my 84 S10 that has the exact same numbers on it. Appearently they were used in several different vehicles.

I would bet it came from an early S-10/ S-15 with the 2.8 V6. The earlier versions used a long 12" long straight shifter handle, that screwed onto a short stub from the Tranny. These transmissions are not the "World Class" versions.

Mike