Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need advice for 81 crossmember/tranny

P

Pir8football

Hi, I own a 74 vert and an 81. We have installed a new Dart 400 small block in the 81 along with a new 400 turbo hughs tranny. It had a worn 350 turbo in it but I decided to go with a new 400 since the motor is pushing around 500 hp (without the shot of nos). I was advised that I could just move the crossmember back to fit the new tranny in. Well, we got the motor & tranny in and realized that you can't move the crossmember back....at all. Thats where the seats are. This tranny is about 7 1/2 inches longer than the 350 was. I really do not want to pull this baby out again ship this 400 back and wait on a 350. I also do not want to make any expensive custom chassis mods. I guess my question is, is there any one else who has delt with this or is there a kit that someone produces to extend the crossmember to allow the 400 to fit? I have been asking around looking for some help on this. I have also been advised that the older C3 crossmembers have a bracket on the x-member to mount the TH350. For the TH400, you just remove the bracket. Will an older (say a 77 or so) crossmember bolt up in my 81 without major mods? Any advice would be great, THANKS!

Mitch

Mitch.
Pancho says that Bowtie overdrives is the place to find the info that you need...
Mike R

I've heard of welding a 1/4 inch plate to the crossmember to accomodate the longer transmission; and then drilling two holes for the mount. Also, I just removed a 81 crossmember when converting from a 350th to a muncie....six bolts. Couldnt you just mount a crossmember like this anywher you need it to fit exactly under the trans. mount ? ....these crossmembers probably weigh less than 10 lbs . You could leave in the one in you have now....:) good luck, jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom