Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need Help Finding a Windshield

SPEEDEMON

Corvette
Ex 1995 ZR-1 Aqua/Blk #389, 2010 ZR1 JSB/Blk #1549
Hello All

I'm looking for a ZR-1 windshield with a (Small Cutout) for the late model ZR-1. I know that I'm going to have to pay an arm & a leg for one, but I'm looking for one that in near show condition. If you guys know of one or can put me in contact with a connection I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Art

Have you tried a typical glass place.And yes your right,your going to pay through the ass.The experience Ive had is that it is just as cheap if not cheaper to call a glass co. to come out and install a new one vs buying one then having them install it.

paintdaddy said:
Have you tried a typical glass place.And yes your right,your going to pay through the ass.The experience Ive had is that it is just as cheap if not cheaper to call a glass co. to come out and install a new one vs buying one then having them install it.

I have been working with a glass company, but we're not have any luck finding one with the small cutout. The ones with large cutout are still floating around, but not the ones with small cutout. Let me know if you guys have any leads.

Perhaps I am a bit naive on this, but can't you just use a regular '95 Corvette windshield without the IR blocker laminate? That should be much cheaper, and you won't have to worry about the cutout at all, right?

I am curious because my '90 has a bit of delamination on the lower right corner of the windscreen. It's solid white in appearance and about the size of a NutterButter cookie. Not bad enough to warrant a large investment right now, but I was thinking I would get it fixed some day. I'd assumed a proper ZR-1 windscreen would be too pricey and had resigned myself to going with standard Vette glass. What would you estimate the cost differential to be?

Say, when did they change the size of the cutout? What was the motivation for that revision?

-Burt

Burt

First of all price isn't an issue on my situation. Getting the correct windshield is the issue. Yes you can use a standard windshield off the basic Corvette. But I prefer to get the correct windshield if possible. The reason for having the correct solar windshield is, it was built to reduce heat in the cabin due to the smaller compressor on the LT5.

SPEEDEMON said:
Burt

First of all price isn't an issue on my situation. Getting the correct windshield is the issue. Yes you can use a standard windshield off the basic Corvette. But I prefer to get the correct windshield if possible. The reason for having the correct solar windshield is, it was built to reduce heat in the cabin due to the smaller compressor on the LT5.
What about a regular windshield with a light tint on the inside and cut the cutout on the bottom..............would that work?
should look the same. Not an option for the low milage all original cars... but for the drivers out there this might work..........what do you think?. Has anyone tried this?

Tommy L said:
What about a regular windshield with a light tint on the inside and cut the cutout on the bottom..............would that work?
should look the same. Not an option for the low milage all original cars... but for the drivers out there this might work..........what do you think?. Has anyone tried this?
Someone has brought that up in the past, but the solar tint might be hard to match, also it would be very fragile and scratch very easily. Also cutout and the stamping:

SHADED
KOOLLOF
SAFTY LOF FLOAT

would be hard to duplicate. Who knows if someone will ever be able to reproduce these.

SPEEDEMON said:
I have been working with a glass company, but we're not have any luck finding one with the small cutout. The ones with large cutout are still floating around, but not the ones with small cutout. Let me know if you guys have any leads.

Hey Speedeamon where are these large cut out windshields at please tell me I need one for each of my 90's!

thanks

johnny

Johnny

Carter Thompson has one in excellent condition for a large cutout. Ross Little also had one last month when I talked to him but it's not perfect. Also my glass shop I'm working with found a couple more with distributors back east somewhere which I could remember which was also large cutouts. Contact Carter Thompson since his is perfect and at a very reasonable price. Some of these guys are asking big bucks for these windshields.

Art

This is probably a dumb question, but is there any way fix a tiny delamination spot? I have the smallest of spots- about 1/8" by 3/16" that was formed when a stone hit the windshield and put the smallest of knicks in it.

I'll second that question. I've got a delam spot about the size and shape of a nutter butter cookie in the lower right corner of my windshield.

-Burt

Hey Guys

I got my perfect windshield, any of you guys needing windshields you better move quick, cause theres almost none out there. It took me all Summer to locate one.

Art

Guys there was one for sale on CF.com recently. CHeck the C4 Ads.

I have a friend that has a new ZR-1 windshield. It is perfect with no delam no scratches and might be for sale as he sold his car, but probly not cheap. If interested contact me at kito@sympatico.ca

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom