Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! NEED HELP!! Identifying a 327

smcgoldrick17

Hey Guys, I need some help identifying an early 327 that i have. i have searched high and low to find out what the stamping code means and have not been succesful. I need someone with some expertise in the corvette engine field. I will include the basic info, anything else more technical that one may need, just ask. Thank you again!!

Blcok Casting Number: 3782870

Stamped Number: FI2I4S ( and this is confirmed)

Cyl. Head Casting Number: 782461 K135

Crank Number: 4577 ( forged )

I have found almost all the info on everything else, but the stamped number brings up nothing. Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Howdy. :welcome

No clue what FI2I4S means either. Hope someone here does.

Thanks for the WELCOME

Hey Tuna, ya thats why I am here asking for any help possible. I know for sure its out of a Vette, just cant find any info on that Stamp Code.

Thanks for all the great info! Its still really weird how I cant find the stamping numbers on most common websites. I was told by some that the FI can make it valuable, that it could possibly be a 327/365 engine. The heads being 1965 and the motor being 1962 would that suggest they were never originally on that block? Thanks again for all the great info!!

The heads being 1965 and the motor being 1962 would that suggest they were never originally on that block?

Correct.

The old rule of thumb is that all old Chev engines that have lost their original cars 'came from a Corvette' and all old Corvettes that have lost their original engines were either a big block or a high HP small block. :D

Thanks again,

Yea the weird part is, that the motor was actually pulled out of Robbie Kriegers (The Doors) 1963 Corvette. It was done at Joe Kool in Van Nuys. My dad had a body shop across the street. We were there when the engine was pulled. Thats how i got my hands on it. If I asked more questions about the enigine, is there anyway that the info could possibly suggest that it might have originally been out of a 63' corvette? Just trying to find a reason why that motor would not be the original motor. Thanks again, just trying to ask all possible questions!

If I asked more questions about the enigine, is there anyway that the info could possibly suggest that it might have originally been out of a 63' corvette?

The 'S' code, being only a single character, is a dead give away that it's not from a Corvette of any year. All original Corvette engines had a two letter code until 1970 when three character codes were introduced. The pad on a '63 would also have a derivative of the car's VIN stamped next to the engine ass'y info and look something like this example.

Eng.Numbers.jpg

Cars in '63 other than Corvette didn't have a VIN derivative stamped on the pad.

WOW! Learning a lot here today. Thank you so much for the knowledgable info. At one time someone must have installed that motor in the corvette, and had done something with the old "original" motor. Mind is just kinda blown, just because I originally saw the engine in that 63' Corvette, and was there the day it was pulled and put into the back of the truck. I would have never imagined it would have been from something else. Now, I am onto the trail of what full size chevy in 62' it might have come out of. Thank you a ton again!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom